Eggplant Upside-Down Fatta
By shahdan • September 23, 2015
Eggplants, yoghurt, garlic and golden crispy bread are just a match made in heaven. Every eggplant lover has to try this recipe – it might seem like a salad since it is not served hot, but the garlicky tomato sauce begs to differ.
- 1 kg eggplant (3-4 pieces - cut in cubes) - باذنجان رومي
- 1/2 cup olive oil (for roasting eggplants, bread and garlic for sauce) - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 3 baladi bread (cut in medium squares) - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 850 gram yoghurt (about 8 small yoghurt cups) - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 15-17 garlic cloves (minced for yoghurt and for sauce) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 tomatoes (peeled and blended into juice) - طماطم
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional) - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1 handful pine nuts (optional - OR sliced almonds OR raw cashews) - صنوبر
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C and line two baking trays with foil or parchment.
- Drizzle the cubed eggplants with 2 tablespoons olive oil and pepper then spread them on the baking tray and place in the middle of the oven. Make sure you toss the cubes around at least a couple of times during cooking. It should be cooked through by 45-50 minutes - make sure you can squeeze it.
- Drizzle the baladi squares with 2 tablespoons olive oil and spread on baking tray and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp. If you can't place both trays next to each other, then put the bread in the upper shelf and make sure to toss it at least once.
- Mix the yoghurt with the tahini, salt and about 10 to 12 cloves of minced garlic. Set aside.
- Use two table spoons olive oil to fry the remaining mixed garlic (around 5 cloves). Before it turns brown, add the vinegar then the juice of 4 tomatoes, the paste, salt and pepper and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. It should get a bit darker and thicker.
- Once all components are ready, let them cool for 10 minutes before you start layering. Fold the cooled eggplant cubes into the yoghurt mix making sure it is entirely coated.
- Place the eggplant yoghurt in the serving dish, followed by the tomato sauce then half of the crispy bread. The rest can be served in a side dish for additions.
- Toast some pine nuts (here I used cashews) and sprinkle it on top.
Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle
This Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle is the simplest way to the heart of a loved one. It impresses with...
Yummy Chocolate Chip Pancakes
This is a super cheerful breakfast for fun family mornings! These chocolate chip pancakes...
Fruit & Oats Cinnamon Nibbling Cake
From 12 months. Everyone loves cake. It is comforting, sweet and soft to the taste. Toddlers at...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]