Spinach & Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato & Carrot Cream Sauce
By Yosra Shohayeb • February 21, 2016
This recipe is the runner-up to #MyBestDish cooking competition.
This recipe is perfect for any occasion. It’s super easy and tasty too! For #MyBestDish competition I chose to make spinach and cheese stuffed chicken with tomato and carrot cream sauce. The taste of the cheese and the sweetness of the sauce blend perfectly together; a match made in heaven! For this dish I chose grilled vegetables as my side (vegetables, olive oil, salt & pepper for 10 minutes in a pan). However, you’re free to change your side to baked potatoes or pasta (which the sauce will complement perfectly). Give it a try and tell me how it went.
- 1 handful spinach - سبانخ
- 2 tablespoon feta cheese - جبنه فيتا
- 2 tablespoon mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- 2 pinch salt - ملح
- 2 pinch black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 pinch sumac - سماق
- 1 teaspoon vinegar - خل
- 3 teaspoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3/4 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 large carrots (chopped) - جزر
- 2 tomatoes (chopped) - طماطم
- 1/2 onion (chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1/2 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Create a pocket in the top of the chicken breast with a thin knife. Reach the sides at the end with the knife without cutting through. Gently create a pocket for the stuffing.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, sumac, vinegar & 1 teaspoon olive oil. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- In a medium pan, heat one tablespoon olive oil and fry 1/2 minced onion together with the spinach for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- After it cools, add feta cheese & mozzarella and mix until well-combined.
- Gently stuff the chicken with the mixture making sure not to tear the chicken.
- Close the chicken pocket opening with toothpicks. If chicken opens from any other sides, make sure to close it with toothpicks as well.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a pan. Add chicken then stir in 3/4 cup boiling water. Cover and leave for 20 minutes.
- Remove this chicken sauce from the pan and set aside. Do not throw away, you'll need it later.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil. Fry the chicken on all sides for about 5 minutes.
- Return the sauce to the chicken pan and bake in the oven. This step is important so the chicken is moist and juicy. Leave in the oven for 8 minutes (4 minutes each side).
- Remove chicken from the oven and cut it into thick slices (as shown in the photo).
- To prepare the tomato & carrot cream sauce: sauté sliced carrot in 1/2 tablespoon of butter and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add chopped onions, 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add minced garlic, sugar, oregano and chopped tomatoes. Leave to simmer for 25 minutes. Blend the mixture in a food processor until smooth then use a sieve or colander to get rid of the extras. Gently warm the sauce over medium heat. Add cream, salt & pepper and the rest of the butter. Stir the sauce for 5 minutes and dilute it with some water if it's too thick. Spoon over the chicken and enjoy this mouth-watering dish.
Wholesome Black-Eyed Pea Salad
It's time to give black-eyed peas a chance since it is creamy, nutritious and full of goodness...
Artichoke & Lentil Salad
Full of colour, texture, and flavour, the Artichoke & Lentil Salad is the perfect way to eat...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a fun & filling meal for everyone on a weekday, and a big hit for casual friends’ get-togethers. It is easily prepared in 30 minutes and does not require fancy ingredients. For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Fillets
This roasted red pepper chicken recipe is just so easy and so yum! Ready in less than 30 minutes, this chicken dish is creamy and filling served next to rice. You can also shred the finished chicken and serve it along with its creamy sauce over cooked pasta. Your family and friends will definitely enjoy this […]