Spinach & Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato & Carrot Cream Sauce
By Yosra Shohayeb • February 21, 2016
This recipe is the runner-up to #MyBestDish cooking competition.
This recipe is perfect for any occasion. It’s super easy and tasty too! For #MyBestDish competition I chose to make spinach and cheese stuffed chicken with tomato and carrot cream sauce. The taste of the cheese and the sweetness of the sauce blend perfectly together; a match made in heaven! For this dish I chose grilled vegetables as my side (vegetables, olive oil, salt & pepper for 10 minutes in a pan). However, you’re free to change your side to baked potatoes or pasta (which the sauce will complement perfectly). Give it a try and tell me how it went.
- 1 handful spinach - سبانخ
- 2 tablespoon feta cheese - جبنه فيتا
- 2 tablespoon mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- 2 pinch salt - ملح
- 2 pinch black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 pinch sumac - سماق
- 1 teaspoon vinegar - خل
- 3 teaspoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3/4 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 large carrots (chopped) - جزر
- 2 tomatoes (chopped) - طماطم
- 1/2 onion (chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1/2 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Create a pocket in the top of the chicken breast with a thin knife. Reach the sides at the end with the knife without cutting through. Gently create a pocket for the stuffing.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, sumac, vinegar & 1 teaspoon olive oil. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- In a medium pan, heat one tablespoon olive oil and fry 1/2 minced onion together with the spinach for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- After it cools, add feta cheese & mozzarella and mix until well-combined.
- Gently stuff the chicken with the mixture making sure not to tear the chicken.
- Close the chicken pocket opening with toothpicks. If chicken opens from any other sides, make sure to close it with toothpicks as well.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a pan. Add chicken then stir in 3/4 cup boiling water. Cover and leave for 20 minutes.
- Remove this chicken sauce from the pan and set aside. Do not throw away, you'll need it later.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil. Fry the chicken on all sides for about 5 minutes.
- Return the sauce to the chicken pan and bake in the oven. This step is important so the chicken is moist and juicy. Leave in the oven for 8 minutes (4 minutes each side).
- Remove chicken from the oven and cut it into thick slices (as shown in the photo).
- To prepare the tomato & carrot cream sauce: sauté sliced carrot in 1/2 tablespoon of butter and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add chopped onions, 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add minced garlic, sugar, oregano and chopped tomatoes. Leave to simmer for 25 minutes. Blend the mixture in a food processor until smooth then use a sieve or colander to get rid of the extras. Gently warm the sauce over medium heat. Add cream, salt & pepper and the rest of the butter. Stir the sauce for 5 minutes and dilute it with some water if it's too thick. Spoon over the chicken and enjoy this mouth-watering dish.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy...
Yummy Zucchini Carrot Fritters
These Zucchini Carrot Fritters are just so yummy. The kids love them and are ready to add them to...
One famous childhood recipe... This is how my grandma used to serve artichokes. It makes a great...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]