Spinach & Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato & Carrot Cream Sauce
By Yosra Shohayeb • February 21, 2016
This recipe is the runner-up to #MyBestDish cooking competition.
This recipe is perfect for any occasion. It’s super easy and tasty too! For #MyBestDish competition I chose to make spinach and cheese stuffed chicken with tomato and carrot cream sauce. The taste of the cheese and the sweetness of the sauce blend perfectly together; a match made in heaven! For this dish I chose grilled vegetables as my side (vegetables, olive oil, salt & pepper for 10 minutes in a pan). However, you’re free to change your side to baked potatoes or pasta (which the sauce will complement perfectly). Give it a try and tell me how it went.
- 1 handful spinach - سبانخ
- 2 tablespoon feta cheese - جبنه فيتا
- 2 tablespoon mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- 2 pinch salt - ملح
- 2 pinch black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 pinch sumac - سماق
- 1 teaspoon vinegar - خل
- 3 teaspoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3/4 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 large carrots (chopped) - جزر
- 2 tomatoes (chopped) - طماطم
- 1/2 onion (chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1/2 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Create a pocket in the top of the chicken breast with a thin knife. Reach the sides at the end with the knife without cutting through. Gently create a pocket for the stuffing.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, sumac, vinegar & 1 teaspoon olive oil. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- In a medium pan, heat one tablespoon olive oil and fry 1/2 minced onion together with the spinach for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- After it cools, add feta cheese & mozzarella and mix until well-combined.
- Gently stuff the chicken with the mixture making sure not to tear the chicken.
- Close the chicken pocket opening with toothpicks. If chicken opens from any other sides, make sure to close it with toothpicks as well.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a pan. Add chicken then stir in 3/4 cup boiling water. Cover and leave for 20 minutes.
- Remove this chicken sauce from the pan and set aside. Do not throw away, you'll need it later.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil. Fry the chicken on all sides for about 5 minutes.
- Return the sauce to the chicken pan and bake in the oven. This step is important so the chicken is moist and juicy. Leave in the oven for 8 minutes (4 minutes each side).
- Remove chicken from the oven and cut it into thick slices (as shown in the photo).
- To prepare the tomato & carrot cream sauce: sauté sliced carrot in 1/2 tablespoon of butter and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add chopped onions, 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add minced garlic, sugar, oregano and chopped tomatoes. Leave to simmer for 25 minutes. Blend the mixture in a food processor until smooth then use a sieve or colander to get rid of the extras. Gently warm the sauce over medium heat. Add cream, salt & pepper and the rest of the butter. Stir the sauce for 5 minutes and dilute it with some water if it's too thick. Spoon over the chicken and enjoy this mouth-watering dish.
Oat & Banana Nutritious Pancakes
From 9 months. This is such a simple, quick and nutritious breakfast or dinner for your toddler as...
Sesame Beef Stir-Fry
This is a straight-forward stir- fry recipe. It doesn’t need complicated ingredients except maybe...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]