The Rice-Meatball Fatta
By shahdan • September 21, 2015
Turn CairoCooking’s Baked Rice Meatballs into an exciting Fatta dish that will blow your guests away!
To prepare the meatballs, follow the link above. BUT, at step 7 of the Baked Rice Meatballs recipe, add 10 crushed cloves of garlic instead of 4, and 3 tablespoons of vinegar before you stir in the tomato sauce. Follow the rest of the instructions as indicated.
Once you have the meatballs ready, preparing the fatta is super easy! You can cook the meatballs in advance, keep refrigerated and heat before assembling the fatta.
- 6 serving CairoCooking’s rice meatballs (made from 1/2kg mince meat) - كفتة الأرز
- 6 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram yoghurt (about 5 small yoghurt cups) - زبادي
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 4 medium garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon coriander (chopped for garnish) - كزبرة
- 2 tablespoon almonds (peeled & shredded) - لوز
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- Use scissors to cut the bread into small rectangles and drizzle a little olive oil on top. Use your hands to coat the bread with the oil, then spread it on a large baking tray. Bake in a 180C oven until golden and crispy (about 20 minutes).
- To prepare the yoghurt topping, mix the yoghurt with the tahini in a bowl, then add crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small pan, fry the almonds in oil until golden. Drain on tissue paper.
- Before serving, arrange the bread in the serving plate. Spoon the rice meatballs and its tomato sauce on top. Then cover with the yoghurt-tahini mixture. Sprinkle toasted almonds and fresh coriander on top.
Delicious Liver Alexandrian Style
Grilled liver is an amazing protein in taste, nutritional value and all the things you can do with...
Traditional Sweet Vermicelli (She3reyya)
Sweet Vermicelli or 'She3reyya bel Sokkar' is the perfect traditional winter warmer when you need...
Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich
The Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich is not only nutritious, but it is...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]