The Rice-Meatball Fatta
By shahdan • September 21, 2015
Turn CairoCooking’s Baked Rice Meatballs into an exciting Fatta dish that will blow your guests away!
To prepare the meatballs, follow the link above. BUT, at step 7 of the Baked Rice Meatballs recipe, add 10 crushed cloves of garlic instead of 4, and 3 tablespoons of vinegar before you stir in the tomato sauce. Follow the rest of the instructions as indicated.
Once you have the meatballs ready, preparing the fatta is super easy! You can cook the meatballs in advance, keep refrigerated and heat before assembling the fatta.
- 6 serving CairoCooking’s rice meatballs (made from 1/2kg mince meat) - كفتة الأرز
- 6 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram yoghurt (about 5 small yoghurt cups) - زبادي
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 4 medium garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon coriander (chopped for garnish) - كزبرة
- 2 tablespoon almonds (peeled & shredded) - لوز
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- Use scissors to cut the bread into small rectangles and drizzle a little olive oil on top. Use your hands to coat the bread with the oil, then spread it on a large baking tray. Bake in a 180C oven until golden and crispy (about 20 minutes).
- To prepare the yoghurt topping, mix the yoghurt with the tahini in a bowl, then add crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small pan, fry the almonds in oil until golden. Drain on tissue paper.
- Before serving, arrange the bread in the serving plate. Spoon the rice meatballs and its tomato sauce on top. Then cover with the yoghurt-tahini mixture. Sprinkle toasted almonds and fresh coriander on top.
Easy Fruity Frozen Yoghurt Cups
Creamy, sweet, and full of nutritional goodness, these fruity frozen yoghurt cups make...
Roasted Zucchini with Garlic & Herbs
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the tastiest. This is a quick and easy side dish that will have...
Red Pepper Hummus Wrap
Turn CairoCooking's super healthy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus dip into a kid- friendly lunch box...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]