The Rice-Meatball Fatta
By shahdan • September 21, 2015
Turn CairoCooking’s Baked Rice Meatballs into an exciting Fatta dish that will blow your guests away!
To prepare the meatballs, follow the link above. BUT, at step 7 of the Baked Rice Meatballs recipe, add 10 crushed cloves of garlic instead of 4, and 3 tablespoons of vinegar before you stir in the tomato sauce. Follow the rest of the instructions as indicated.
Once you have the meatballs ready, preparing the fatta is super easy! You can cook the meatballs in advance, keep refrigerated and heat before assembling the fatta.
- 6 serving CairoCooking’s rice meatballs (made from 1/2kg mince meat) - كفتة الأرز
- 6 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram yoghurt (about 5 small yoghurt cups) - زبادي
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 4 medium garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon coriander (chopped for garnish) - كزبرة
- 2 tablespoon almonds (peeled & shredded) - لوز
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- Use scissors to cut the bread into small rectangles and drizzle a little olive oil on top. Use your hands to coat the bread with the oil, then spread it on a large baking tray. Bake in a 180C oven until golden and crispy (about 20 minutes).
- To prepare the yoghurt topping, mix the yoghurt with the tahini in a bowl, then add crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small pan, fry the almonds in oil until golden. Drain on tissue paper.
- Before serving, arrange the bread in the serving plate. Spoon the rice meatballs and its tomato sauce on top. Then cover with the yoghurt-tahini mixture. Sprinkle toasted almonds and fresh coriander on top.
No-Bake Cheesy Spinach Bechamel
This Cheesy Spinach Bechamel recipe is fast, easy and perfect for everyday when you don’t have...
It's healthy and not loaded with sugar like the store-bought stuff! It's good to keep at home for...
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]