Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
By yasmine • March 7, 2021
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh so delicious!
Prepare it for yourself, for your family or for a gathering as a main dish, and it will always going to be remembered.
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 3 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon thyme (or fresh marjoram - optional) - زعتر
- 500-600g chicken livers - كبد الدجاج
- 1 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 large tomato (diced) - طماطم
- 5 cup spinach (spinach leaves only, OR 2 packs of frozen spinach) - سبانخ
- 4 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 3 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 2 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (cooked) - حمص
- pomegranate seeds (to decorate) - بذور رمان
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add diced onions and pan-fry them on medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and thyme and stir until onions are translucent. You can add child if you like.
- On medium/high heat, add pieces of liver without overcrowding the pan.
- Flip the liver to get some color. Sprinkle paprika, all spice, salt & pepper. Then lower heat and cover to allow liver to cook through and release some water.
- Uncover after 5 minutes to add diced tomatoes and spinach. Press spinach leaves down, season with salt & pepper, and cover again.
- After another 8-10 minutes, uncover to find the wilted spinach cooked tomatoes. Sprinkle finely chopped parsley leaves and cooked chickpeas and stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Drizzle pomegranate molasses, lime juice and adjust seasoning. Let it cook on low heat for another 3 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Decorate with some fresh parsley and pomegranate seeds or raisins & serve it warm next to brown rice or freekeh for a full hearty meal.
Blue Cheese & Walnut Sandwich
If you are a blue cheese lover, there's a high chance that this sandwich will become your new...
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and...
Everyday Mushroom Risotto
I used to get scared of risotto until I found my sister cooks it as a last minute dish when she was...
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.