Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
By shahdan • April 19, 2021
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta.
For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the fatta will be served nice and warm.
- 2 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 1.5 teaspoon sumac - سماق
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 large chicken breast fillet (sliced) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 500 gram yoghurt - زبادي
- 4 tablespoon tahini (straight from the jar) - طحينة
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 can chickpeas - حمص
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted on a dry pan until golden) - صنوبر
- 1 handful parsley - بقدونس
- 3 tablespoon pomegranate seeds (can be replaced with cubed tomatoes) - بذور رمان
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Use scissors to slice bread into small rectangles.
- Place bread on a large baking tray.Season with sumac and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Use your hands to mix gently.
- Bake in 180C pre-heated oven until golden and crispy (about 10- 15 minutes).
- Season sliced chicken with sumac, salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a pan and cook chicken on all sides until cooked through. Squeeze one lime over cooked chicken slices and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix yoghurt with tahini and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain chickpeas, rinse with fresh water, then season with juice of one lime, salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange crispy bread on a serving plate. Scatter chicken and chickpeas over the bread, leaving the edges clear.
- Pour the yoghurt mixture over the chicken and chickpeas.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley.
Baked Kobeba Tray
This baked Kobeba tray recipe is a yummy Lebanese speciality made simple at home. Instead of...
Baked Chips with Blue Cheese Topping
الوصفة بالعربي This is such a simple (and quick!) crowd pleaser... everyone will...
Basterma Green Salad
This salad will definitely go on your favorites list if you are a basterma fan. I served it once...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.