Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
By shahdan • February 15, 2022
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like the Freekeh Vegetable Soup.
- 1 large carrot - جزرة
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 2 slice green onions - بصل أخضر
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 medium bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 3 small mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 3 medium cardamom - حبهان
- 500 gram beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 1 kg mixed vegetables - خضراوات مشكلة
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add roughly chopped carrots, onion, spring onions, bay leaves, mastic and cardamom. Mix on high heat for a few seconds.
- Dry the beef cubes using kitchen paper. Add beef cubes and season with black pepper. Mix beef cubes with the vegetables on high heat, making sure the cubes are seared from all sides and become golden in colour.
- Cover generously with boiling water from the kettle. Lower heat, half-cover, and leave to simmer for 90- 120 minutes or until beef cubes are soft to slice with a spoon.
- Pass the stock through a sieve into a clean pot. Spoon the beef cubes from the sieve into the stock. Use a back of a spoon to press on the leftover veggies in the sieve to get all their goodness into the soup.
- Add washed veggies of choice (peas, carrots, green onions, broccoli, celery, zucchini, green beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes) into the soup. Season with salt. Leave to simmer until vegetables are cooked to your liking (about 15 minutes). Serve warm with lemon wedges.
Walnut & Date Cake
Since It is the Eid season after Ramadan, I found everybody is running to do the traditional Eid...
Shortcut Baked Apple Crumble
This is such a simple winter dessert, you will find yourself doing again and again. You don't even...
Cranberry & Almond Bread
This is so comforting, so good and addictive! Not just addictive to eat but also to make. It is the...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]