Spinach & Cheese Pie
By shahdan • January 22, 2017
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings.
This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the filling and puff pastry (you will need one full pack for the base and a second pack for the upper layer).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 300 gram spinach (roughly chopped) - سبانخ
- 100 gram feta cheese - جبنه فيتا
- 125 gram ricotta cheese - جبن ريكوتا
- 2 large eggs - بيض
- 4 tablespoon cheddar cheese (grated) - جبن شيدر
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 pack puff pastry (400g) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 tablespoon flour (for dusting) - دقيق
Step by step
- Make sure your puff pastry and frozen spinach (if you're not using fresh) are thoroughly defrosted.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot and sauté onions on low heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add minced garlic and washed fresh spinach. Cover the pot and let it cook until spinach is wilted (about 3 minutes). Stir to combine, put off the heat and leave to cool.
- In the meantime, mix ricotta and crumbled feta cheese in a medium bowl then add nutmeg, pepper, oregano, grated cheddar cheese.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl, then add to the cheese mixture leaving 1 tablespoon behind to use later for brushing the pie. Make sure to mix the cheese filling well before adding the wilted spinach.
- Finally, stir in the cooled spinach to the cheese-egg mixture until well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a large oven tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface and a rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape about 25x35cm. It does not need to be perfect at all. Carefully move the dough to the tray.
- Fill only half the dough surface with the spinach cheese mixture leaving about 1 cm around the edges clean.
- Fold the empty dough half over the filled half and press the edges with the back of a fork to seal it. It doesn't matter if its horizontal or vertical.
- Brush the pie with the remaining beaten egg, and use a knife to make 3 small diagonal cuts in the top layer to release the air while baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve warm.
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with...
Oozy Dark Chocolate Fondant
You know that fondant that you get addicted to at some restaurants and tend to go back to for...
Chicken Fillets with Capers Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي Enjoy these mouthwatering chicken breasts in a creamy capers sauce....
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]
Garlic & Herb Roasted Potatoes
The Garlic & Herb Roasted Potato dish makes a very delicious side to almost any of your favourite proteins like fish, chicken, meat, or turkey. When I find baby potatoes, I cut them in half, toss them with olive oil and herbs, and roast them until they’re nice and soft. Since these are not easily found in Egypt, I simmer […]