Spinach & Cheese Pie
By shahdan • January 22, 2017
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings.
This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the filling and puff pastry (you will need one full pack for the base and a second pack for the upper layer).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 300 gram spinach (roughly chopped) - سبانخ
- 100 gram feta cheese - جبنه فيتا
- 125 gram ricotta cheese - جبن ريكوتا
- 2 large eggs - بيض
- 4 tablespoon cheddar cheese (grated) - جبن شيدر
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 pack puff pastry (400g) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 tablespoon flour (for dusting) - دقيق
Step by step
- Make sure your puff pastry and frozen spinach (if you're not using fresh) are thoroughly defrosted.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot and sauté onions on low heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add minced garlic and washed fresh spinach. Cover the pot and let it cook until spinach is wilted (about 3 minutes). Take spinach off heat and place it in a sieve over a bowl. Use a fork to press on the spinach to squeeze out any juices from the spinach. Discard the water.
- In the meantime, mix ricotta and crumbled feta cheese in a medium bowl then add nutmeg, pepper, oregano, grated cheddar cheese.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl, then add to the cheese mixture leaving 1 tablespoon behind to use later for brushing the pie. Make sure to mix the cheese filling well before adding the wilted spinach.
- Finally, stir in the cooled spinach to the cheese-egg mixture until well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a large oven tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface and a rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape about 25x35cm. It does not need to be perfect at all. Carefully move the dough to the tray.
- Fill only half the dough surface with the spinach cheese mixture leaving about 1 cm around the edges clean.
- Fold the empty dough half over the filled half and press the edges with the back of a fork to seal it. It doesn't matter if its horizontal or vertical.
- Brush the pie with the remaining beaten egg, and use a knife to make 3 small diagonal cuts in the top layer to release the air while baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve warm.
Easy Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce
الوصفه بالعربي This Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce is a great option...
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside...
Cranberry & Almond Bread
This is so comforting, so good and addictive! Not just addictive to eat but also to make. It is the...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]