Rustic Cheese Tart
By shahdan • November 5, 2015
This cheese tart makes a sophisticated yet easy entertaining dish that you can prepare and bake in less than 30 minutes. It is also an incredibly versatile recipe that you can play with, and make it your own. Just use the same technique to prepare the tart, and experiment with your favourite toppings!
If you are using Balsamic glaze, why don’t you try CairoCookings homemade Balsamic Glaze.
- 1 pack puff pastry (400 g) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 handful flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 1 large garlic clove (crushed) - فص ثوم
- 200 gram feta cheese (good quality greek feta) - جبنه فيتا
- 2 medium tomato (thinly sliced) - طماطم
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or thyme) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 small egg (to brush edges) - بيضة
- 1 handful basil - ريحان
- 1 drizzle balsamic glaze/ reduction (optional) - مركز الخل البلسمي
Step by step
- Make sure your puff pastry is thoroughly defrosted before you start.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line your tray with parchment paper using a little oil on the tray so the paper sticks into place.
- Lightly dust your working surface and your rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape to fit the size of your tray. It does not need to be perfect at all. Carefully move the dough to the tray.
- Use a knife to gently score a 1 cm border around your pastry. Using a fork, pierce the middle a few times.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with 1 crushed garlic clove, then brush the pastry with the oil and garlic, leaving out the borders clean.
- Crumble the feta cheese and spread them within the border. Spread the tomatoes on top of the cheese and sprinkle oregano on top.
- Lightly brush the borders with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 10- 15 minutes until nice and golden.
- Carefully move your tart to your serving board or dish. Sprinkle fresh basil on top and add a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Best served warm.
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple...
Cheat Mango & Mint Pavlova
Nothing beats a home-made dessert when hosting a dinner party. With our Egyptian big impressive...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]