Rustic Cheese Tart
By shahdan • November 5, 2015
This cheese tart makes a sophisticated yet easy entertaining dish that you can prepare and bake in less than 30 minutes. It is also an incredibly versatile recipe that you can play with, and make it your own. Just use the same technique to prepare the tart, and experiment with your favourite toppings!
If you are using Balsamic glaze, why don’t you try CairoCookings homemade Balsamic Glaze.
- 1 pack puff pastry (400 g) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 handful flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 1 large garlic clove (crushed) - فص ثوم
- 200 gram feta cheese (good quality greek feta) - جبنه فيتا
- 2 medium tomato (thinly sliced) - طماطم
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or thyme) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 small egg (to brush edges) - بيضة
- 1 handful basil - ريحان
- 1 drizzle balsamic glaze/ reduction (optional) - مركز الخل البلسمي
Step by step
- Make sure your puff pastry is thoroughly defrosted before you start.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line your tray with parchment paper using a little oil on the tray so the paper sticks into place.
- Lightly dust your working surface and your rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape to fit the size of your tray. It does not need to be perfect at all. Carefully move the dough to the tray.
- Use a knife to gently score a 1 cm border around your pastry. Using a fork, pierce the middle a few times.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with 1 crushed garlic clove, then brush the pastry with the oil and garlic, leaving out the borders clean.
- Crumble the feta cheese and spread them within the border. Spread the tomatoes on top of the cheese and sprinkle oregano on top.
- Lightly brush the borders with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 10- 15 minutes until nice and golden.
- Carefully move your tart to your serving board or dish. Sprinkle fresh basil on top and add a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Best served warm.
Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Bake
From 9 months. This is a perfect broccoli - cauliflower mix recipe to introduce your baby to...
Orzo & Vegetable Soup (Lessan Asfour)
This is one of the simplest, yet most delicious soups. All you really need is good homemade chicken...
Smoked Salmon, Radish & Avocado Salad
Some delicious dishes are just too easy to prepare, like this family favorite Salmon & Avocado...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.