By shahdan • March 5, 2016
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with traditional ‘semeet’ bread. Dukka is classic with boiled eggs, and with different white cheeses, such labna. It is nutritious, full of nuts & spices, and adds a special Egyptian flavour to any sandwich!
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds - بذور السمسم
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts - سوداني غير مملح
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds - حبوب الكسبرة الجافة
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds - حبات الكمون
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- In a dry pan, roast the sesame seeds on medium heat. You will need to shake the pan so the seeds don't burn. It will take just a few minutes until golden. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Roast the peanuts in the same pan until golden and set aside.
- Mix the coriander with the cumin seeds and roast in the pan, for a few minutes. You will smell the aroma of the spices. Set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds on the side. Place the rest of the seeds in a small food processor or grinder, and process until finely ground. Set aside.
- Next, grind the peanuts. Don't over-process to avoid making it creamy. Set aside.
- Finally grind the coriander and cumin seeds until they reach a fine powder consistency.
- In a bowl, mix the sesame with peanuts, cumin and coriander. Add the sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store in a glass jar.
This pan-seared scallops recipe is very easy and simple. Scallops are highly nutritious, full of...
Balsamic Rosemary Chicken Fillets
الوصفه بالعربي This is the recipe you need for those super busy days. Toss the...
Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.