By shahdan • March 5, 2016
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with traditional ‘semeet’ bread. Dukka is classic with boiled eggs, and with different white cheeses, such labna. It is nutritious, full of nuts & spices, and adds a special Egyptian flavour to any sandwich!
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds - بذور السمسم
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts - سوداني غير مملح
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds - حبوب الكسبرة الجافة
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds - حبات الكمون
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- In a dry pan, roast the sesame seeds on medium heat. You will need to shake the pan so the seeds don't burn. It will take just a few minutes until golden. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Roast the peanuts in the same pan until golden and set aside.
- Mix the coriander with the cumin seeds and roast in the pan, for a few minutes. You will smell the aroma of the spices. Set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds on the side. Place the rest of the seeds in a small food processor or grinder, and process until finely ground. Set aside.
- Next, grind the peanuts. Don't over-process to avoid making it creamy. Set aside.
- Finally grind the coriander and cumin seeds until they reach a fine powder consistency.
- In a bowl, mix the sesame with peanuts, cumin and coriander. Add the sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store in a glass jar.
Baby Spinach & Mozzarella Salad
Great for entertaining, this salad was created when I decided we need to eat these two beautiful...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed...
Basterma Green Salad
This salad will definitely go on your favorites list if you are a basterma fan. I served it once...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]