By shahdan • March 5, 2016
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with traditional ‘semeet’ bread. Dukka is classic with boiled eggs, and with different white cheeses, such labna. It is nutritious, full of nuts & spices, and adds a special Egyptian flavour to any sandwich!
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds - بذور السمسم
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts - سوداني غير مملح
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds - حبوب الكسبرة الجافة
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds - حبات الكمون
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- In a dry pan, roast the sesame seeds on medium heat. You will need to shake the pan so the seeds don't burn. It will take just a few minutes until golden. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Roast the peanuts in the same pan until golden and set aside.
- Mix the coriander with the cumin seeds and roast in the pan, for a few minutes. You will smell the aroma of the spices. Set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds on the side. Place the rest of the seeds in a small food processor or grinder, and process until finely ground. Set aside.
- Next, grind the peanuts. Don't over-process to avoid making it creamy. Set aside.
- Finally grind the coriander and cumin seeds until they reach a fine powder consistency.
- In a bowl, mix the sesame with peanuts, cumin and coriander. Add the sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store in a glass jar.
A sweet and juicy bread base is covered with a thick layer of creamy milk pudding, flavoured with...
Boneless Wings and Blue-Cheese-Ranch Slaw Burrito
الوصفه بالعربي This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration...
Red Pepper Hummus Wrap
Turn CairoCooking's super healthy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus dip into a kid- friendly lunch box...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]