By shahdan • March 5, 2016
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with traditional ‘semeet’ bread. Dukka is classic with boiled eggs, and with different white cheeses, such labna. It is nutritious, full of nuts & spices, and adds a special Egyptian flavour to any sandwich!
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds - بذور السمسم
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts - سوداني غير مملح
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds - حبوب الكسبرة الجافة
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds - حبات الكمون
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- In a dry pan, roast the sesame seeds on medium heat. You will need to shake the pan so the seeds don't burn. It will take just a few minutes until golden. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Roast the peanuts in the same pan until golden and set aside.
- Mix the coriander with the cumin seeds and roast in the pan, for a few minutes. You will smell the aroma of the spices. Set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds on the side. Place the rest of the seeds in a small food processor or grinder, and process until finely ground. Set aside.
- Next, grind the peanuts. Don't over-process to avoid making it creamy. Set aside.
- Finally grind the coriander and cumin seeds until they reach a fine powder consistency.
- In a bowl, mix the sesame with peanuts, cumin and coriander. Add the sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store in a glass jar.
Everyday Carrot & Pumpkin Soup
A yummy creamy and filling soup, this everyday easy-to-do carrot and pumpkin soup just ticks all...
Buttery & Easy Homemade Ghorayeba
This buttery Ghorayeba (traditional Eid cookies) is relatively easy to achieve at home. It is...
Easter Herring (Renga) Salad
My mum always makes this salad on Easter morning. It is yummy and makes eating traditional 'renga'...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]