By shahdan • March 5, 2016
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with traditional ‘semeet’ bread. Dukka is classic with boiled eggs, and with different white cheeses, such labna. It is nutritious, full of nuts & spices, and adds a special Egyptian flavour to any sandwich!
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds - بذور السمسم
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts - سوداني غير مملح
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds - حبوب الكسبرة الجافة
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds - حبات الكمون
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- In a dry pan, roast the sesame seeds on medium heat. You will need to shake the pan so the seeds don't burn. It will take just a few minutes until golden. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Roast the peanuts in the same pan until golden and set aside.
- Mix the coriander with the cumin seeds and roast in the pan, for a few minutes. You will smell the aroma of the spices. Set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds on the side. Place the rest of the seeds in a small food processor or grinder, and process until finely ground. Set aside.
- Next, grind the peanuts. Don't over-process to avoid making it creamy. Set aside.
- Finally grind the coriander and cumin seeds until they reach a fine powder consistency.
- In a bowl, mix the sesame with peanuts, cumin and coriander. Add the sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store in a glass jar.
Japanese Beef & Spinach Rice Wraps: Soboro Onigirazu
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to...
Traditional Kolkas with Green Herbs
I can't imagine any Egyptian growing up not eating Kolkas! Even my husband, who was never a fan of...
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]