Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
By shahdan • December 4, 2018
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1.5 tablespoon tahini (straight from the jar) + 1 tablespoon to spread over the dough - طحينة
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 2 large tomatoes (deseeded & chopped into small cubes) - طماطم
- ½ bunch parsley (finely chopped + extra to garnish) - بقدونس
- 1 pack puff pastry (400 gram) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 handful flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 1 small egg (for brushing) - بيضة
- 1 handful pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 handful pomegranate seeds (optional) - بذور رمان
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the minced beef, heat olive oil and sauté minced onion on low heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add minced beef, season with all spice, cinnamon, and salt & pepper. Stir occasionally until meat is cooked and all juices are absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, and add lime juice, tahini, pomegranate molasses, tomatoes, parsley and mix gently. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust your working surface and rolling pin with flour and roll out the puff pastry dough into a rectangle shape that fits the size of the tray (about 25x35cm). Carefully move the dough to the tray.
- Gently fold 1 cm of the puff pastry borders all around to create a frame around the filling. Using a fork, pierce the middle of the dough a few times then brush it thoroughly with 1 tablespoon tahini. Then add the meat filling and spread it evenly.
- Brush the folded borders with the beaten egg and bake in the middle shelf until the borders are puffed and golden. If they don't color after 20 minutes, turn on the upper girl for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast pine nuts by shaking them in a dry pan over medium heat until pine nuts are golden (about 3 minutes).
- Garnish the hot pie with pine nuts, fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley. You can drizzle extra tahini or pomegranate molasses to taste. Serve warm.
Oregano & Sumac Chicken with Classic Freekeh
Oregano & sumac marinated chicken breast fillets are served on a bed of nutritious freekeh, and...
Barbecue Marinated Grilled Chicken
الوصفه بالعربي Simple recipes do go a long way! This is one simple chicken marinade...
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]