Pulled Beef & Onions
By Nada Khaled • November 4, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This recipe has been tested in the CairoCooking Test Kitchen and it turned out absolutely delicious. We followed the exact recipe, however we did not need to add any salt at all because the soy sauce was already salty enough.
A unique take on the Egyptian meat and onions casserole.
Recipe uploaded by Nada Khaled.
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- 3 medium onions (thinly sliced) - بصل
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 3/4 cup soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar - الخل البلسمي
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce - صوص ورشيسترشير
- 2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 or more cup water - ماء
Step by step
- In a pot, melt 1/2 tbsp. butter with 1/2 tbsp. oil. Fry the beef cubes until browned.
- Remove the beef and set aside. Using the same pot, add the remaining butter and oil.
- Caramelise the onions, then add the finely chopped green chilli. Return the beef cubes back into the pot.
- Add garlic and all the spices to the beef and onions, and stir well.
- Stir in 1 cup water, the sauces and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover and leave it to simmer until all the water is absorbed, then add another cup of water.
- Keep repeating the process until the beef is perfectly cooked and can be easily pulled.
Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish...
Guacamole: Chunky Avocado Spread & Dip
الوصفة بالعربي This avocado dip is chunky and full of flavour! It can stay up to 2...
Fig Tarte Bourdaloue
This dessert is very easy to prepare and very tasty. After figs season is over, I will be...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]