Pulled Beef & Onions
By Nada Khaled • November 4, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This recipe has been tested in the CairoCooking Test Kitchen and it turned out absolutely delicious. We followed the exact recipe, however we did not need to add any salt at all because the soy sauce was already salty enough.
A unique take on the Egyptian meat and onions casserole.
Recipe uploaded by Nada Khaled.
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- 3 medium onions (thinly sliced) - بصل
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 3/4 cup soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar - الخل البلسمي
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce - صوص ورشيسترشير
- 2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 or more cup water - ماء
Step by step
- In a pot, melt 1/2 tbsp. butter with 1/2 tbsp. oil. Fry the beef cubes until browned.
- Remove the beef and set aside. Using the same pot, add the remaining butter and oil.
- Caramelise the onions, then add the finely chopped green chilli. Return the beef cubes back into the pot.
- Add garlic and all the spices to the beef and onions, and stir well.
- Stir in 1 cup water, the sauces and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover and leave it to simmer until all the water is absorbed, then add another cup of water.
- Keep repeating the process until the beef is perfectly cooked and can be easily pulled.
Mustard & Rosemary Roasted Beef Fillet
This is such an easy recipe that it became a staple in our homes. The meat turns out tender...
Banana & Date Whole-Wheat Cake
I came across a lot of baking recipes when I tried to introduce my toddler to sweets without adding...
Homemade Warm Cheesecake
A simple recipe for a rich and warm cheesecake for cheesecake lovers. Recipe uploaded by Asmaa...
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]