Pulled Beef & Onions
By Nada Khaled • November 4, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This recipe has been tested in the CairoCooking Test Kitchen and it turned out absolutely delicious. We followed the exact recipe, however we did not need to add any salt at all because the soy sauce was already salty enough.
A unique take on the Egyptian meat and onions casserole.
Recipe uploaded by Nada Khaled.
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- 3 medium onions (thinly sliced) - بصل
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 3/4 cup soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar - الخل البلسمي
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce - صوص ورشيسترشير
- 2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 or more cup water - ماء
Step by step
- In a pot, melt 1/2 tbsp. butter with 1/2 tbsp. oil. Fry the beef cubes until browned.
- Remove the beef and set aside. Using the same pot, add the remaining butter and oil.
- Caramelise the onions, then add the finely chopped green chilli. Return the beef cubes back into the pot.
- Add garlic and all the spices to the beef and onions, and stir well.
- Stir in 1 cup water, the sauces and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover and leave it to simmer until all the water is absorbed, then add another cup of water.
- Keep repeating the process until the beef is perfectly cooked and can be easily pulled.
Hearty Harira Soup
الوصفة بالعربي My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my...
Ice Cream Cookie Cups
Whether you're a fan of freezing ice cream on cold winter nights or not, you'll love this...
Shredded Carrot & Coriander Salad
This is originally a Gordon Ramsay recipe for outdoor picnics and summer activities. However, we...
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]