Pulled Beef & Onions
By Nada Khaled • November 4, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This recipe has been tested in the CairoCooking Test Kitchen and it turned out absolutely delicious. We followed the exact recipe, however we did not need to add any salt at all because the soy sauce was already salty enough.
A unique take on the Egyptian meat and onions casserole.
Recipe uploaded by Nada Khaled.
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- 3 medium onions (thinly sliced) - بصل
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 3/4 cup soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar - الخل البلسمي
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce - صوص ورشيسترشير
- 2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 or more cup water - ماء
Step by step
- In a pot, melt 1/2 tbsp. butter with 1/2 tbsp. oil. Fry the beef cubes until browned.
- Remove the beef and set aside. Using the same pot, add the remaining butter and oil.
- Caramelise the onions, then add the finely chopped green chilli. Return the beef cubes back into the pot.
- Add garlic and all the spices to the beef and onions, and stir well.
- Stir in 1 cup water, the sauces and balsamic vinegar.
- Cover and leave it to simmer until all the water is absorbed, then add another cup of water.
- Keep repeating the process until the beef is perfectly cooked and can be easily pulled.
Easter Greek Brioche
When Sham ElNesseem is coming our way, all I can think of is the smell of my grandmother's Easter...
Nutritious Egg Muffins
Packed with nutritious ingredients, these luscious Egg Muffins are perfect for the kids' lunchbox,...
Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich
The Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich is not only nutritious, but it is...
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]