Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
By shahdan • November 16, 2016
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with Beef and Spring Onions. The flavours are simply superior! The ingredient helping all the flavours pop, is the spring onion. Whether you choose to serve it as a side rice dish, or as a main dish (since its full of beef), this dish is truly irresistible.
I added some turmeric to the original recipe (I had learned from my friend Yasmine) to add more aroma and colour.
- 500 gram beef (sliced into small cubes or strips) - لحمة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (OR 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter) - زيت زيتون
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 2 small cardamom - حبهان
- 6 stalks spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed) - أرز بسمتي
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon parsley (chopped to garnish) - بقدونس
- 1 handful cashew nuts (OR toasted pine nuts OR almonds to garnish) - الكاجو
Step by step
- In a large rice pot, heat olive oil (and butter if using any). Add beef cubes, followed by all the spices, cardamom pods, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Keep stirring the meat until it browns on all sides (about 10 minutes). Add 5 chopped spring onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups boiling water, and 1 cup washed basmati rice. Give it a quick stir, cover and cook on lowest heat until water is absorbed and rice is cooked (about 25 min). Discard the cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Serve the rice hot topped with freshly chopped spring onions, toasted nuts and parsley.
Succulent Beef Burger with Tahini
الوصفة بالعربي The homemade pickles and tahini make this burger so hard to...
Carpaccio on Parmesan Chips
This is a special dish for those people who appreciate a delicate appetiser. It is crispy, smooth,...
Shami Chicken Fattah
An inherited original recipe from my Syrian/Lebanese in-laws. It is super easy, and can be served...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]