Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
By shahdan • November 16, 2016
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with Beef and Spring Onions. The flavours are simply superior! The ingredient helping all the flavours pop, is the spring onion. Whether you choose to serve it as a side rice dish, or as a main dish (since its full of beef), this dish is truly irresistible.
I added some turmeric to the original recipe (I had learned from my friend Yasmine) to add more aroma and colour.
- 500 gram beef (sliced into small cubes or strips) - لحمة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (OR 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter) - زيت زيتون
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 2 small cardamom - حبهان
- 6 stalks spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed) - أرز بسمتي
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon parsley (chopped to garnish) - بقدونس
- 1 handful cashew nuts (OR toasted pine nuts OR almonds to garnish) - الكاجو
Step by step
- In a large rice pot, heat olive oil (and butter if using any). Add beef cubes, followed by all the spices, cardamom pods, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Keep stirring the meat until it browns on all sides (about 10 minutes). Add 5 chopped spring onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups boiling water, and 1 cup washed basmati rice. Give it a quick stir, cover and cook on lowest heat until water is absorbed and rice is cooked (about 25 min). Discard the cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Serve the rice hot topped with freshly chopped spring onions, toasted nuts and parsley.
Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
Nothing in your child's lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef...
Mongolian Beef Strips
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe...
Classic Lentils To Die For
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]