Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
By shahdan • November 16, 2016
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with Beef and Spring Onions. The flavours are simply superior! The ingredient helping all the flavours pop, is the spring onion. Whether you choose to serve it as a side rice dish, or as a main dish (since its full of beef), this dish is truly irresistible.
I added some turmeric to the original recipe (I had learned from my friend Yasmine) to add more aroma and colour.
- 500 gram beef (sliced into small cubes or strips) - لحمة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (OR 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter) - زيت زيتون
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 2 small cardamom - حبهان
- 6 stalks spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed) - أرز بسمتي
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon parsley (chopped to garnish) - بقدونس
- 1 handful cashew nuts (OR toasted pine nuts OR almonds to garnish) - الكاجو
Step by step
- In a large rice pot, heat olive oil (and butter if using any). Add beef cubes, followed by all the spices, cardamom pods, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Keep stirring the meat until it browns on all sides (about 10 minutes). Add 5 chopped spring onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups boiling water, and 1 cup washed basmati rice. Give it a quick stir, cover and cook on lowest heat until water is absorbed and rice is cooked (about 25 min). Discard the cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Serve the rice hot topped with freshly chopped spring onions, toasted nuts and parsley.
Figs & Goat Cheese Oregano Pie
Fig season is here and can't stop thinking of all the fun recipes we can prepare using figs. It is...
A sweet and juicy bread base is covered with a thick layer of creamy milk pudding, flavoured with...
Yummy Zucchini Carrot Fritters
These Zucchini Carrot Fritters are just so yummy. The kids love them and are ready to add them to...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]