Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
By shahdan • November 16, 2016
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with Beef and Spring Onions. The flavours are simply superior! The ingredient helping all the flavours pop, is the spring onion. Whether you choose to serve it as a side rice dish, or as a main dish (since its full of beef), this dish is truly irresistible.
I added some turmeric to the original recipe (I had learned from my friend Yasmine) to add more aroma and colour.
- 500 gram beef (sliced into small cubes or strips) - لحمة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (OR 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter) - زيت زيتون
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 2 small cardamom - حبهان
- 6 stalks spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed) - أرز بسمتي
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon parsley (chopped to garnish) - بقدونس
- 1 handful cashew nuts (OR toasted pine nuts OR almonds to garnish) - الكاجو
Step by step
- In a large rice pot, heat olive oil (and butter if using any). Add beef cubes, followed by all the spices, cardamom pods, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Keep stirring the meat until it browns on all sides (about 10 minutes). Add 5 chopped spring onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups boiling water, and 1 cup washed basmati rice. Give it a quick stir, cover and cook on lowest heat until water is absorbed and rice is cooked (about 25 min). Discard the cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Serve the rice hot topped with freshly chopped spring onions, toasted nuts and parsley.
Quick Wholemeal Scones with Walnuts & Raisins
This is a nutritious wholemeal scones recipe with walnuts & raisins prepared in less than 30...
Traditional Kolkas with Green Herbs
I can't imagine any Egyptian growing up not eating Kolkas! Even my husband, who was never a fan of...
Peanut Butter & Coloured Peppers Baladi Wrap
The sweetness of coloured peppers with the saltines of this guiltfree all natural peanut butter...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups