Creamy North Indian Fish Curry
By Shewekar Elgharably • May 19, 2015
Enjoy the exotic spices in this wonderful fish curry dish brought to you straight from India. You will not believe it does not have any cream. The creamy consistency is achieved through coconut milk and a healthy cashew paste made from cashew nuts and water. Best served with our favourite gluten-free Cauliflower Rice.
- 5 tablespoon coconut oil - زيت جوز الهند
- 4 cloves - قرنفل
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 medium green onions (chopped) - بصل أخضر
- 5 large garlic clove (peeled & mashed) - فص ثوم
- 1 piece fresh ginger (peeled and grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 green chili pepper (left whole & pricked) - فلفل أخضر حار
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder - شطة مطحونة
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander - كسبرة جافة
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice mix) - جاراماسالا
- sea salt - ملح البحر
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 4 medium tomato (pureed) - طماطم
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (made into a paste with some water) - الكاجو
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- 500 gram fish fillet (cut into chunks) - سمك فيليه
- 1 handful cilantro (to garnish) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan.
- Add all spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon) and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the onion and cook until golden.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Stir for 5 minutes, as it gets thicker.
- Stir in the powdered spices and salt.
- Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and cook over a moderate high heat until all water has dried off. Lower the heat and cook gently, covered, until the masala sauce releases oil (6-8 minutes). Stir as it gets thicker.
- Add the cashew paste and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the fish and cilantro and cook until the fish is just opaque, around 4 minutes or more.
- Shake the pan rather than stirring to avoid breaking up the fish.
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan...
Colorful Tuna & Quinoa Salad
A colourful tuna & Quinoa salad packed with vitamins and healthy protein. Place it in a packed...
Sweet Couscous has always been a classic on my grandmother's dessert table. As children, we used to...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]