Creamy North Indian Fish Curry
By Shewekar Elgharably • May 19, 2015
Enjoy the exotic spices in this wonderful fish curry dish brought to you straight from India. You will not believe it does not have any cream. The creamy consistency is achieved through coconut milk and a healthy cashew paste made from cashew nuts and water. Best served with our favourite gluten-free Cauliflower Rice.
- 5 tablespoon coconut oil - زيت جوز الهند
- 4 cloves - قرنفل
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 medium green onions (chopped) - بصل أخضر
- 5 large garlic clove (peeled & mashed) - فص ثوم
- 1 piece fresh ginger (peeled and grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 green chili pepper (left whole & pricked) - فلفل أخضر حار
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder - شطة مطحونة
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander - كسبرة جافة
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice mix) - جاراماسالا
- sea salt - ملح البحر
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 4 medium tomato (pureed) - طماطم
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (made into a paste with some water) - الكاجو
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- 500 gram fish fillet (cut into chunks) - سمك فيليه
- 1 handful cilantro (to garnish) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan.
- Add all spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon) and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the onion and cook until golden.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Stir for 5 minutes, as it gets thicker.
- Stir in the powdered spices and salt.
- Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and cook over a moderate high heat until all water has dried off. Lower the heat and cook gently, covered, until the masala sauce releases oil (6-8 minutes). Stir as it gets thicker.
- Add the cashew paste and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the fish and cilantro and cook until the fish is just opaque, around 4 minutes or more.
- Shake the pan rather than stirring to avoid breaking up the fish.
Walnut & Date Cake
Since It is the Eid season after Ramadan, I found everybody is running to do the traditional Eid...
Goop’s Broccoli & Arugula Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This is an original Goop detox recipe that I used to prepare for...
Mushroom & Onion Pie
Pies are so hearty, filling and a special treat on any dining table. I used store-bought short...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.