Creamy North Indian Fish Curry
By Shewekar Elgharably • May 19, 2015
Enjoy the exotic spices in this wonderful fish curry dish brought to you straight from India. You will not believe it does not have any cream. The creamy consistency is achieved through coconut milk and a healthy cashew paste made from cashew nuts and water. Best served with our favourite gluten-free Cauliflower Rice.
- 5 tablespoon coconut oil - زيت جوز الهند
- 4 cloves - قرنفل
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 medium green onions (chopped) - بصل أخضر
- 5 large garlic clove (peeled & mashed) - فص ثوم
- 1 piece fresh ginger (peeled and grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 green chili pepper (left whole & pricked) - فلفل أخضر حار
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder - شطة مطحونة
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander - كسبرة جافة
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice mix) - جاراماسالا
- sea salt - ملح البحر
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 4 medium tomato (pureed) - طماطم
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (made into a paste with some water) - الكاجو
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- 500 gram fish fillet (cut into chunks) - سمك فيليه
- 1 handful cilantro (to garnish) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan.
- Add all spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon) and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the onion and cook until golden.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Stir for 5 minutes, as it gets thicker.
- Stir in the powdered spices and salt.
- Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and cook over a moderate high heat until all water has dried off. Lower the heat and cook gently, covered, until the masala sauce releases oil (6-8 minutes). Stir as it gets thicker.
- Add the cashew paste and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the fish and cilantro and cook until the fish is just opaque, around 4 minutes or more.
- Shake the pan rather than stirring to avoid breaking up the fish.
Best Winter Treat: Gingerbread Men
Just in time for the holidays... Baking gingerbread men is one of the best ways to enjoy the...
Blue Cheese & Walnut Sandwich
If you are a blue cheese lover, there's a high chance that this sandwich will become your new...
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]