Creamy North Indian Fish Curry
By Shewekar Elgharably • May 19, 2015
Enjoy the exotic spices in this wonderful fish curry dish brought to you straight from India. You will not believe it does not have any cream. The creamy consistency is achieved through coconut milk and a healthy cashew paste made from cashew nuts and water. Best served with our favourite gluten-free Cauliflower Rice.
- 5 tablespoon coconut oil - زيت جوز الهند
- 4 cloves - قرنفل
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 medium green onions (chopped) - بصل أخضر
- 5 large garlic clove (peeled & mashed) - فص ثوم
- 1 piece fresh ginger (peeled and grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 green chili pepper (left whole & pricked) - فلفل أخضر حار
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder - شطة مطحونة
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander - كسبرة جافة
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice mix) - جاراماسالا
- sea salt - ملح البحر
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 4 medium tomato (pureed) - طماطم
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (made into a paste with some water) - الكاجو
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- 500 gram fish fillet (cut into chunks) - سمك فيليه
- 1 handful cilantro (to garnish) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan.
- Add all spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon) and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the onion and cook until golden.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Stir for 5 minutes, as it gets thicker.
- Stir in the powdered spices and salt.
- Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and cook over a moderate high heat until all water has dried off. Lower the heat and cook gently, covered, until the masala sauce releases oil (6-8 minutes). Stir as it gets thicker.
- Add the cashew paste and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the fish and cilantro and cook until the fish is just opaque, around 4 minutes or more.
- Shake the pan rather than stirring to avoid breaking up the fish.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish,...
Oven-Baked Herb Fish
To add more fish to your weekly meals, try this hassle-free sea bass recipe! In less than 30...
I find this recipe a lot simpler than several other Sharkaseya sauce recipes and the result is...
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Cucumber and Chickpea Herb Salad
Hearty and delicious, this easy-to-put-together Cucumber & Chickpea Salad will be your new go-to salad for your family & friends. It is super healthy and works as a scrumptious side dish to your grilled protein when you are looking for a filling carb-like option.
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple ingredients and little hands-on cooking time, this recipe will probably go on your favourite recipe list. The basil & thyme add a herb quality to the soup, but are not essential. The soup is also very yummy with or […]