Comforting Potato & Leek Soup
By Hebba • January 26, 2016
Potatoes and leeks are a match made in heaven. The creaminess of potatoes mixed with the mild onion-like taste of the leek and flavors of a good chicken or vegetable stock makes this soup a winner on your table.
It is also that type of soup you want to cuddle with on the sofa in front of the TV after a long day!
- 1 kg potatoes (peeled & cubed) - بطاطس
- 3 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 3 leek (minced - white and light green part only) - كرات
- 4 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 8 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/4 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- On medium heat, melt butter in a large soup pot and sauté onions and leek followed by garlic until all is soft (about 8 minutes).
- Add diced potatoes, broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low (uncovered) for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, blend the whole mix with a hand mixer or in the kitchen blender.
- Add cooking cream before serving and garnish with fresh thyme, chives, leek, croutons, or anything you like.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie's 30 minutes...
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with...
Lime & Thyme Chicken Fillets
A delicious and healthy chicken recipe bursting with lemon...
Broccoli and Avocado Soup
Creamy, refreshing and so easy to prepare, the Broccoli and Avocado Soup is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It will be your new favourite soup.
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Leek & Onion Soup
A heartwarming soup that must be prepared every winter in our household. It fits most menus because of its lightness, simplicity and goes well with any protein or carb dish. You can have it light without the toast but you defiantly treat yourself to a restaurant quality dish with some good melted cheese on toast.
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]