Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
By Fayza Riad • February 2, 2017
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy.
The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also use your choice of nut milk.
To prepare/cook the chestnuts for using – there several ways – check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Chestnuts
Once the chestnuts are cooked this soup takes less than 15 minutes.
- 1 small onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chestnuts (boiled or roasted)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 2 cup skimmed milk - لبن منزوع الدسم
- For the breadcrumbs:
- 4 tablespoon olive oil (or 2 tablespoons butter, divided) - زيت زيتون
- 1 handful breadcrumbs - بقسماط
- 1 garlic (minced) - ثوم
- 1 teaspoon oregano (freshly chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
Step by step
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onion until translucent (about 7-8 minutes.)
- Add chestnuts, chicken broth, milk and bring it to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a handheld mixer or transfer your soup to a food processor and pulse until it is completely creamed.
- For the breadcrumbs, heat olive oil in a medium pan, then add minced garlic, breadcrumbs and fresh oregano. Stir for a couple of minutes on low heat to combine.
- Serve breadcrumbs next to the warm soup and enjoy!
Balsamic glaze is a thick balsamic vinegar reduction that is great for salads, grilled veggies,...
Traditional Kahk – Egyptian Festive Cookies
Egyptian Eid cookies or what we call "kahk" is a dessert that is usually baked in happy occasions...
Homemade Creamy Date Syrup
This two-ingredient replacement to sugar, honey and all artificial sweeteners, is to die for! You...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!