Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
By Fayza Riad • February 2, 2021
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We loved this soup so much we cooked it several times. We made minor additions to enjoy its creaminess and flavour even more. Thanks to Fayza, we were introduced to a whole new dimension. We also substituted the breadcrumbs with chopped raw walnuts for a nuttier taste.
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy.
The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also use your choice of nut milk.
To prepare/cook the chestnuts for using – there several ways – check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Chestnuts
Once the chestnuts are cooked, this soup takes less than 20 minutes.
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chestnuts (boiled or roasted, chopped)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 2 cup skimmed milk (OR unsweetened oat or almond milk) - لبن منزوع الدسم
- For the breadcrumbs:
- 2 tablespoon butter (or 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided) - زبدة
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (OR chopped raw walnuts) - بقسماط
- 1 garlic (minced) - ثوم
- 1 teaspoon thyme (freshly chopped) - زعتر
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
Step by step
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onion until translucent (about 7-8 minutes.) Stir in minced garlic.
- Add chopped chestnuts, hot chicken broth, & milk. Sprinkle thyme & season with salt and pepper. Bring the mix to a boil. Cover, lower heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a handheld mixer or transfer your soup to a food processor and pulse until it is completely creamed.
- For the breadcrumbs, heat olive oil in a medium pan, then add minced garlic, breadcrumbs and fresh oregano. Stir for a couple of minutes on low heat to combine.
- Serve breadcrumbs next to the warm soup and enjoy!
Everyday Salad with Balsamic Dijon Dressing
No table is ever complete without a bowl of fresh green salad dressed in a tasty homemade...
Garlic & Vinegar Slow-Cooked Lamb: Lamb Vindaloo
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]