Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
By Fayza Riad • February 2, 2021
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We loved this soup so much we cooked it several times. We made minor additions to enjoy its creaminess and flavour even more. Thanks to Fayza, we were introduced to a whole new dimension. We also substituted the breadcrumbs with chopped raw walnuts for a nuttier taste.
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy.
The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also use your choice of nut milk.
To prepare/cook the chestnuts for using – there several ways – check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Chestnuts
Once the chestnuts are cooked, this soup takes less than 20 minutes.
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chestnuts (boiled or roasted, chopped)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 2 cup skimmed milk (OR unsweetened oat or almond milk) - لبن منزوع الدسم
- For the breadcrumbs:
- 2 tablespoon butter (or 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided) - زبدة
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (OR chopped raw walnuts) - بقسماط
- 1 garlic (minced) - ثوم
- 1 teaspoon thyme (freshly chopped) - زعتر
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
Step by step
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onion until translucent (about 7-8 minutes.) Stir in minced garlic.
- Add chopped chestnuts, hot chicken broth, & milk. Sprinkle thyme & season with salt and pepper. Bring the mix to a boil. Cover, lower heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a handheld mixer or transfer your soup to a food processor and pulse until it is completely creamed.
- For the breadcrumbs, heat olive oil in a medium pan, then add minced garlic, breadcrumbs and fresh oregano. Stir for a couple of minutes on low heat to combine.
- Serve breadcrumbs next to the warm soup and enjoy!
Warm Peach & Berries Fruit Crumble
Starting from the smell while its in the oven, your senses know they're getting a treat! Its...
Traditional Rice Me'ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and...
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread...
Chicken Waldorf salad
This no-mayo Chicken Waldorf Salad is light, delicious and so refreshing… It is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken! The classic American salad uses fresh red grapes, but we love using dried cranberries instead.
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]