Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
By Fayza Riad • February 2, 2017
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy.
The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also use your choice of nut milk.
To prepare/cook the chestnuts for using – there several ways – check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Chestnuts
Once the chestnuts are cooked this soup takes less than 15 minutes.
- 1 small onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chestnuts (boiled or roasted)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 2 cup skimmed milk - لبن منزوع الدسم
- For the breadcrumbs:
- 4 tablespoon olive oil (or 2 tablespoons butter, divided) - زيت زيتون
- 1 handful breadcrumbs - بقسماط
- 1 garlic (minced) - ثوم
- 1 teaspoon oregano (freshly chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
Step by step
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onion until translucent (about 7-8 minutes.)
- Add chestnuts, chicken broth, milk and bring it to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a handheld mixer or transfer your soup to a food processor and pulse until it is completely creamed.
- For the breadcrumbs, heat olive oil in a medium pan, then add minced garlic, breadcrumbs and fresh oregano. Stir for a couple of minutes on low heat to combine.
- Serve breadcrumbs next to the warm soup and enjoy!
Classic Lentils To Die For
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any...
Baked Chips with Blue Cheese Topping
الوصفة بالعربي This is such a simple (and quick!) crowd pleaser... everyone will...
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with...
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is delicious served with steamed rice and broccoli.
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.