Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
By Fayza Riad • February 2, 2017
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy.
The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also use your choice of nut milk.
To prepare/cook the chestnuts for using – there several ways – check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Chestnuts
Once the chestnuts are cooked this soup takes less than 15 minutes.
- 1 small onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chestnuts (boiled or roasted)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 2 cup skimmed milk - لبن منزوع الدسم
- For the breadcrumbs:
- 4 tablespoon olive oil (or 2 tablespoons butter, divided) - زيت زيتون
- 1 handful breadcrumbs - بقسماط
- 1 garlic (minced) - ثوم
- 1 teaspoon oregano (freshly chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
Step by step
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onion until translucent (about 7-8 minutes.)
- Add chestnuts, chicken broth, milk and bring it to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a handheld mixer or transfer your soup to a food processor and pulse until it is completely creamed.
- For the breadcrumbs, heat olive oil in a medium pan, then add minced garlic, breadcrumbs and fresh oregano. Stir for a couple of minutes on low heat to combine.
- Serve breadcrumbs next to the warm soup and enjoy!
Best Winter Treat: Gingerbread Men
Just in time for the holidays... Baking gingerbread men is one of the best ways to enjoy the...
Wholewheat & Oats Fruity Pancakes
These nutritious wholewheat pancakes with oats and fruits are made delicious with added bananas...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]