Leek & Onion Soup
By yasmine • March 1, 2021
A heartwarming soup that must be prepared every winter in our household. It fits most menus because of its lightness, simplicity and goes well with any protein or carb dish.
You can have it light without the toast but you defiantly treat yourself to a restaurant quality dish with some good melted cheese on toast.
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- handful sage (fresh or dried) - مريمية
- 2 tablespoon thyme - زعتر
- 3 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 4 stem leek (sliced) - كرات
- 1 kg onions (sliced) - بصل
- 2-3 salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 4 cup broth - مرقة
- 4 toast - توست
- 200 gram gruyere cheese (shredded or slices) - جبن جرويير
Step by step
- Melt butter & olive oil in a large casserole on medium heat. Then add the sage, the thyme and the garlic.
- Stir herbs and garlic for a couple of minutes and season with salt & pepper.
- Add sliced leeks and stir. Follow with the sliced onions. Season again with salt & pepper. Cover the pot and let it cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- In the meantime, heat the broth. (You can keep it vegan by replacing the butter at the beginning with more olive oil and using veggie broth.)
- As the onions are cooked-through but still transparent in color, give it a final stir then add the hot broth. Let it come to a boil, and lower heat and cover again for another 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- As soup is almost ready, you can prepare the cheese toast. Preheat the broiler. Scoop soup into oven dishes, add the toast on top and place in the oven for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Quick Wholemeal Scones with Walnuts & Raisins
This is a nutritious wholemeal scones recipe with walnuts & raisins prepared in less than 30...
Nutritious Cheesy Rosemary Crackers
الوصفة بالعربي Your house will smell like a bakery in the morning with these small...
Mushroom & Onion Pie
Pies are so hearty, filling and a special treat on any dining table. I used store-bought short...
Broccoli and Avocado Soup
Creamy, refreshing and so easy to prepare, the Broccoli and Avocado Soup is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It will be your new favourite soup.
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple ingredients and little hands-on cooking time, this recipe will probably go on your favourite recipe list. The basil & thyme add a herb quality to the soup, but are not essential. The soup is also very yummy with or […]