By Nelly Abuarqub • December 11, 2015
A traditional Palestinian feast on a plate…
The flavours and aroma of this dish are beyond incredible. ‘Maklouba’ is the Arabic word for “upside down,” a Palestinian upside down dish of lamb, eggplants and rice.
A large pot is layered with lamb that is covered with eggplants then the rice comes on top. After all is cooked, this pot is held upside down against a serving dish, like you would turn a cake. The rice becomes at the bottom and spreads in the serving dish while the eggplants and lamb just fall over it.
This recipe is part of the ‘In Your Kitchen’ article series and is from Nelly Abuarqoub’s kitchen. To read the full article, click here.
- 3 large eggplant - باذنجان رومي
- 1 kg lamb (chunks, not fillet) - لحم ضانى
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 tablespoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 medium cinnamon sticks - عيدان قرفة
- 5 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 5 piece cloves - قرنفل
- 2 medium bay leaf (for frying) - ورق لاورا
- 1 medium loomi (dried lime) (optional) - ليمون مجفف- لومي
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (for frying) - زيت نباتي
- 1/8 cup almonds - لوز
- 1/8 cup cashew nuts - الكاجو
- 1/8 cup pine nuts - صنوبر
- 2 cup rice (heaped) - أرز
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all spice (preferably, maklouba spice mix, or beef spice mix) - بهارات
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- a few sprig parsley (for garnish) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Cut the eggplants into thick circles. Sprinkle with salt, and set aside.
- Rub the lamb with salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon of each - all spice, cinnamon, and ginger powder. Heat 2 tablespoons oil and fry the meat on both sides until browned. Cover with water, then add 5 cardamoms, 5 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 bay leaves and 1 loomy, if available. Leave to cook on low heat for 90 min or until the meat is almost tender and cooked through. Save the lamb and its broth, because both will be used.
- Dry the eggplants and fry them in oil until golden. Drain on a kitchen towel and set aside.
- In little oil, fry the cashews and almonds in a seperate pan. Next, fry the pine nuts and set aside.
- In the large pot, arrange all the cooked lamb at the bottom. Sprinkle the meat with 1 1/2 tablespoons all spice, and 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Next, arrange the fried eggplants on top of the meat. Add half a cup of the lamb broth and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes to infuse the flavors of the meat and eggplants before adding the rice.
- Add the rice gradually. Use a knife to make holes for the rice and add some of the broth gradually. Avoid adding too much broth so the rice doesn't float. Press so the rice goes down and add the rest of the rice. Broth should be a little over the rice. Cover the pot and let it cook on a low heat until the rice is cooked (like normal rice). You may add more broth or water if you feel the rice needs more.
- Cover the pot with a round serving dish, and carefully turn over the pot so the layers of meat and eggplants are on top of the rice. Garnish with the fried nuts and fresh parsely leaves. Serve immediately. Best served with a green salad and minted yogurt.
Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa Salad
The Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa is a perfect warm salad, side dish to your favourite...
Halloumi, Tomato & Arugula Slicers
Such a simple and quick appetiser that looks and tastes good guaranteed! For a more luxurious...
Dill & Lemon Salmon Tagliatelle
Succulent and flaky salmon chunks are served on a bed of Italian tagliatelle and covered with a...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]