Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
By shahdan • March 30, 2015
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker or thinner. I found this recipe perfect for my family, but you can use it as a guideline and add or reduce garlic.
Check out our simple homemade Chicken Broth recipe.
- 1 pack molokheya frozen - ملوخية
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil (or half oil half butter) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 500 ml chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional) - سكر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Start in the same pot that you are using for the molokheya, you do not need a separate pan for ta2leya! Add the crushed garlic and coriander to the hot oil/butter on a low heat for 30 - 50seconds, be careful you do not want the garlic to burn. You can also add a little salt and pepper. At this point you will smell the lovely aroma of garlic and coriander.
- Add the hot chicken stock on the ta2leyya, in the same pot, followed by the bag of frozen molokheya (while it’s frozen).
- On a very low heat, leave the molokheya to take its time and melt into the chicken stock. Note: do not stir molokheya, it only ruins it. Another note: molokheya should never boil.
- It will take its time to melt... when it does and before it boils, turn off the heat... you can add the sugar and stir to a minimum. (Sugar brings out the yummy molokheya flavour).
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed (depends on the saltiness of your chicken stock), and that's it.
- If you won’t eat immediately and will re-heat before serving, make sure again that it doesn't boil, and don't stir or stir to the minimum when needed! How easy is that?
Artichoke & Lentil Salad
Full of colour, texture, and flavour, the Artichoke & Lentil Salad is the perfect way to eat...
Balsamic Rosemary Chicken Fillets
الوصفه بالعربي This is the recipe you need for those super busy days. Toss the...
Yummy Chocolate Chip Pancakes
الوصفة بالعربي This is a super cheerful breakfast for fun family mornings! These...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]