Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
By shahdan • March 30, 2015
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker or thinner. I found this recipe perfect for my family, but you can use it as a guideline and add or reduce garlic.
Check out our simple homemade Chicken Broth recipe.
- 1 pack molokheya frozen - ملوخية
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil (or half oil half butter) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 500 ml chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional) - سكر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Start in the same pot that you are using for the molokheya, you do not need a separate pan for ta2leya! Add the crushed garlic and coriander to the hot oil/butter on a low heat for 30 - 50seconds, be careful you do not want the garlic to burn. You can also add a little salt and pepper. At this point you will smell the lovely aroma of garlic and coriander.
- Add the hot chicken stock on the ta2leyya, in the same pot, followed by the bag of frozen molokheya (while it’s frozen).
- On a very low heat, leave the molokheya to take its time and melt into the chicken stock. Note: do not stir molokheya, it only ruins it. Another note: molokheya should never boil.
- It will take its time to melt... when it does and before it boils, turn off the heat... you can add the sugar and stir to a minimum. (Sugar brings out the yummy molokheya flavour).
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed (depends on the saltiness of your chicken stock), and that's it.
- If you won’t eat immediately and will re-heat before serving, make sure again that it doesn't boil, and don't stir or stir to the minimum when needed! How easy is that?
Shredded Carrot & Coriander Salad
This is originally a Gordon Ramsay recipe for outdoor picnics and summer activities. However, we...
Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle
This Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle is the simplest way to the heart of a loved one. It impresses with...
Shortcut Baked Apple Crumble
This is such a simple winter dessert, you will find yourself doing again and again. You don't even...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]