Mahshi Koronb (Stuffed Cabbage) Made Simple
By shahdan • July 2, 2016
Even though I love cooking and I have a passion for traditional Egyptian food, Mahshi Koronb (Stuffed Cabbage) is a dish I never attempt to cook, simply because it is time-consuming and does not fit a busy lifestyle.
The same way I simplified mahshi or stuffed veggies into the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi, I decided to turn Rice-Stuffed-Cabbage into a simple rice platter that tastes exactly like the wrapped one. Again, I turned to my favourite traditional home cook Neamat for her authentic recipe, then tweaked the method and the ingredients to create a Mahshi Koronb platter. The result is simply delicious. Same taste, yet different presentation and a much shorter hands-on kitchen time.
A must-try if you love stuffed cabbage and especially if you live abroad and miss this Egyptian speciality!
- 1/2 medium cabbage - كرنب
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1/2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 2 cup rice (500 gram) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 1 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste based on how salty your stock is) - ملح
- 1 bunch coriander (large bunch) - كزبرة
- 1 bunch dill (large bunch) - شبت
- 2.5 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock - use same cup/mug used for measuring rice) - مرقة خضار
Step by step
- Wash and shred cabbage leaves into medium-thin strips discarding the spine. Fill a bowl with boiling water from the kettle, add 1.5 teaspoons cumin, and soak the leaves (for about 5 minutes) until soft. Rinse and wash the leaves with fresh cold water. Set aside.
- In a large rice pot, melt butter with oil. Sautee onion until soft. Add tomato paste, 1/2 cup of water and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, pomegranate molasses, salt, pepper, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ginger and sugar. Lower the heat and keep mixing the rice until water is absorbed (and rice is still relatively raw).
- Add cabbage, chopped coriander and dill, and 2.5 cups of vegetable or chicken stock, and mix.
- Cook on medium heat until it boils, then cover and lower heat to a minimum. Leave to take its time cooking just like regular rice (about 45 min). You can stir it occasionally.
- When the rice is cooked and tender, fluff it up with a fork. You might feel it's a little sticky, but this is how it should be. It will not be as sticky when left to cool a bit. Serve warm on a large platter & garnish with extra dill and coriander leaves. You may serve with an optional bowl of minted yoghurt on the side.
Grilled Veggie Rolls with Cashew Cheese
These veggie rolls are enriched with the creaminess of the cashew cheese. The combination of the...
Roasted Herbed Quail with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Sometimes we need to have an outside of the box meal so I came up with...
Tasty Cauliflower Rice
The best healthy replacement for rice. No one will believe this is actually...
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]