Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
By shahdan • January 10, 2016
I don’t find Mahshi that interesting for dinner parties, therefore I decided to take the best recipe I know, and turn it into something more exciting: Mahshi -mesh Mahshi. Not only is it much easier to prepare, but it is also more modern and cheerful! If you read the amount of veggies and greens that go into mahshi, you will fall in love with that Egyptian classic all over again.
Every Egyptian household has its own unique mahshi recipe. Having tried so many, I can confidently argue that the original recipe used for this dish is by far the best I ever tried. The recipe is by a wonderful Egyptian home cook, Neamat, who masters these beautiful typical Egyptian dishes. But Mahshi is definetly her specialty – the flavors are simply impeccable. When you eat it, you can definetly taste the amount of passion and love put into it.
- 2 large onions (minced) - بصل
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1/2 kg tomatoes (blended & sieved) - طماطم
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 2 cup rice (for this specific recipe we use 1.5 mugs) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 bunch coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- 1 bunch mint (finely chopped) - نعناع
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock (OR vegetable stock) - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 kg eggplant - باذنجان رومي
- 1/4 kg zucchini - كوسة
- 1/4 kg bell pepper - فلفل ملون
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
Step by step
- To prepare the vegetables, cut the eggplants, zucchini and bell peppers into medium thick slices, drizzle with olive oil, salt and garlic powder and arrange on a baking tray. Bake in a 200C preheated oven, turning occasionaly until nice and soft (around 30 min). You may need to use your oven grill. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare the rice, sauté onions in oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until soft.
- Add fresh tomato juice and tomato paste and leave to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in washed rice and cook over very low heat while stirring until it absorbs the tomato juice. It is not cooked yet but turn off the heat.
- Add pomegranate molasses, finely choppped coriander, mint and parsely, followed by salt, pepper, and ginger powder. Mix well.
- To cook the rice through, add stock and 1 tablespoon of butter (optional), cover and leave to cook over the lowest heat until cooked through. (You might need to to add extra stock.)
- When the rice is cooked, add the roasted veggies and use a fork to gently fluff up the rice with the veggies. Leave to cook for further 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.
Butter & Garlic Carrot Bites
From 12 months. The best solution to help toddlers (from 1 year) feed themselves is to provide...
Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker...
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish,...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]