Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
By shahdan • January 10, 2016
I don’t find Mahshi that interesting for dinner parties, therefore I decided to take the best recipe I know, and turn it into something more exciting: Mahshi -mesh Mahshi. Not only is it much easier to prepare, but it is also more modern and cheerful! If you read the amount of veggies and greens that go into mahshi, you will fall in love with that Egyptian classic all over again.
Every Egyptian household has its own unique mahshi recipe. Having tried so many, I can confidently argue that the original recipe used for this dish is by far the best I ever tried. The recipe is by a wonderful Egyptian home cook, Neamat, who masters these beautiful typical Egyptian dishes. But Mahshi is definetly her specialty – the flavors are simply impeccable. When you eat it, you can definetly taste the amount of passion and love put into it.
- 2 large onions (minced) - بصل
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1/2 kg tomatoes (blended & sieved) - طماطم
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 2 cup rice (for this specific recipe we use 1.5 mugs) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 bunch coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- 1 bunch mint (finely chopped) - نعناع
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock (OR vegetable stock) - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 kg eggplant - باذنجان رومي
- 1/4 kg zucchini - كوسة
- 1/4 kg bell pepper - فلفل ملون
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
Step by step
- To prepare the vegetables, cut the eggplants, zucchini and bell peppers into medium thick slices, drizzle with olive oil, salt and garlic powder and arrange on a baking tray. Bake in a 200C preheated oven, turning occasionaly until nice and soft (around 30 min). You may need to use your oven grill. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare the rice, sauté onions in oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until soft.
- Add fresh tomato juice and tomato paste and leave to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in washed rice and cook over very low heat while stirring until it absorbs the tomato juice. It is not cooked yet but turn off the heat.
- Add pomegranate molasses, finely choppped coriander, mint and parsely, followed by salt, pepper, and ginger powder. Mix well.
- To cook the rice through, add stock and 1 tablespoon of butter (optional), cover and leave to cook over the lowest heat until cooked through. (You might need to to add extra stock.)
- When the rice is cooked, add the roasted veggies and use a fork to gently fluff up the rice with the veggies. Leave to cook for further 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through....
Chicken Livers with Pomegranate Molasses
This chicken liver recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes. It works as a...
Hearty Homemade Om Ali
الوصفة بالعربي Om Ali is a lovely old oriental dessert - here it is made...
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]