Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
By yasmine • May 7, 2018
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple ingredients and little hands-on cooking time, this recipe will probably go on your favourite recipe list.
The basil & thyme add a herb quality to the soup, but are not essential. The soup is also very yummy with or without cooking cream. So follow your preference, and this soup will always deliver love on the table.
- 1 kg tomatoes (cored & halved) - طماطم
- 100 gram cherry tomatoes - طماطم تشيري
- 8 garlic cloves (with peel) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water with bay leaf, cardamom & extra salt) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 teaspoon thyme (optional) - زعتر
- 6-8 leaves basil (finely chopped - optional) - ريحان
- 1 drizzle cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Core and cut tomatoes in half and place them on a shallow oven tray. Place garlic cloves with peel next to the tomatoes as well as the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle cinnamon, salt & pepper. Use your hands to distribute the oil and spices around the tomatoes. Make sure they are all placed cut side down. Place tray in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes, turning the tomatoes in the last 10 minutes and shaking the tray to finish roasting.
- When you take the oven tray out, make sure to peel the garlic cloves.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and fry the diced onions until golden (about 7 minutes). Stir in the roasted tomatoes and garlic.
- Add chicken broth and hot water and let it all simmer on medium/low heat for 15 minutes. Liquid should evaporate a bit. Add basil and thyme, if using any, in the last minute or so.
- Use a handheld mixer or a food processor to blend the soup. You can add some cream to garnish with basil just before serving the soup hot with some crusted bread.
Fried Eggs with Dates (Aagwa)
This is a childhood favourite! The sweetness of the dates fried in butter with the lightly...
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan...
Oven-Baked Herb Fish
To add more fish to your weekly meals, try this hassle-free Oven-Baked Herb Fish recipe! In less...
Chicken Waldorf salad
This no-mayo Chicken Waldorf Salad is light, delicious and so refreshing… It is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken! The classic American salad uses fresh red grapes, but we love using dried cranberries instead.
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]