Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
By yasmine • May 7, 2018
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple ingredients and little hands-on cooking time, this recipe will probably go on your favourite recipe list.
The basil & thyme add a herb quality to the soup, but are not essential. The soup is also very yummy with or without cooking cream. So follow your preference, and this soup will always deliver love on the table.
- 1 kg tomatoes (cored & halved) - طماطم
- 100 gram cherry tomatoes - طماطم تشيري
- 8 garlic cloves (with peel) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water with bay leaf, cardamom & extra salt) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 teaspoon thyme (optional) - زعتر
- 6-8 leaves basil (finely chopped - optional) - ريحان
- 1 drizzle cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Core and cut tomatoes in half and place them on a shallow oven tray. Place garlic cloves with peel next to the tomatoes as well as the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle cinnamon, salt & pepper. Use your hands to distribute the oil and spices around the tomatoes. Make sure they are all placed cut side down. Place tray in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes, turning the tomatoes in the last 10 minutes and shaking the tray to finish roasting.
- When you take the oven tray out, make sure to peel the garlic cloves.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and fry the diced onions until golden (about 7 minutes). Stir in the roasted tomatoes and garlic.
- Add chicken broth and hot water and let it all simmer on medium/low heat for 15 minutes. Liquid should evaporate a bit. Add basil and thyme, if using any, in the last minute or so.
- Use a handheld mixer or a food processor to blend the soup. You can add some cream to garnish with basil just before serving the soup hot with some crusted bread.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes....
Yummy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Egyptian farmers are now growing all these new vegetables and greens that were earlier either...
It's healthy and not loaded with sugar like the store-bought stuff! It's good to keep at home for...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]