Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
By yasmine • May 7, 2018
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple ingredients and little hands-on cooking time, this recipe will probably go on your favourite recipe list.
The basil & thyme add a herb quality to the soup, but are not essential. The soup is also very yummy with or without cooking cream. So follow your preference, and this soup will always deliver love on the table.
- 1 kg tomatoes (cored & halved) - طماطم
- 100 gram cherry tomatoes - طماطم تشيري
- 8 garlic cloves (with peel) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water with bay leaf, cardamom & extra salt) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 teaspoon thyme (optional) - زعتر
- 6-8 leaves basil (finely chopped - optional) - ريحان
- 1 drizzle cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Core and cut tomatoes in half and place them on a shallow oven tray. Place garlic cloves with peel next to the tomatoes as well as the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle cinnamon, salt & pepper. Use your hands to distribute the oil and spices around the tomatoes. Make sure they are all placed cut side down. Place tray in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes, turning the tomatoes in the last 10 minutes and shaking the tray to finish roasting.
- When you take the oven tray out, make sure to peel the garlic cloves.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and fry the diced onions until golden (about 7 minutes). Stir in the roasted tomatoes and garlic.
- Add chicken broth and hot water and let it all simmer on medium/low heat for 15 minutes. Liquid should evaporate a bit. Add basil and thyme, if using any, in the last minute or so.
- Use a handheld mixer or a food processor to blend the soup. You can add some cream to garnish with basil just before serving the soup hot with some crusted bread.
The Rice-Meatball Fatta
الوصفه بالعربي Turn CairoCooking's Baked Rice Meatballs into an exciting...
Soy & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
الوصفة بالعربي This luscious chicken stir-fry dish is easy, delicious and packed with...
Balsamic Rosemary Chicken Fillets
الوصفه بالعربي This is the recipe you need for those super busy days. Toss the...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto Sauce
This Zucchini Noodles recipe is amazing for kids as it gives them the feel of eating noodles not zucchini! It can also be a big hit in a small gathering. I personally love it because it is healthy and incredibly easy to prepare .
Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish for everyday as well as for fancy dinner parties. It is very simple yet full of mouthwatering flavors and colors. The delicious addition of honey-glazed walnuts elevates the salad into something absolutely elegant. This salad was inspired by a simple recipe […]