Classic Egyptian Belila
By shahdan • January 10, 2016
Nothing beats a warm bowl of belila with coconut and nuts! The ultimate winter comfort food!
- 250 gram barley wheat - قمح
- 4 cup milk - لبن
- sugar (OR honey to taste) - سكر
- nuts (almonds, cashews or coconut & raisins) - مكسرات
- cinnamon powder (optional - to taste) - قرفة
Step by step
- Wash the wheat, cover generously with water, and soak for 12 hours or overnight.
- Discard the water, rinse with fresh water, then place the wheat in a deep pot. Cover with water and cook for 45 minutes or until the belila wheat is soft.
- To serve, only add hot milk and sugar or honey to the needed amount of belila wheat and sprinkle with nuts and cinnamon.
- Store the remaining belila wheat in its water in the fridge.
الوصفة بالعربي A fun and tasty dessert Recipe uploaded by Dina...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce
As impressive as it looks, the Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce is quite easy to prepare....
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Traditional Fattoush Salad
Fresh and full of colourful & nutritious ingredients, a traditional Fattoush Salad is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. The unique garlic & sumac dressing poured over fresh salad ingredients and topped with seasoned crispy bread makes this salad truly irresistible. You can add some of your favorite ingredients to this classic edition such as […]