Most Aromatic Chicken Stock
By shahdan • September 29, 2016
There are lots of ways to preparing a good homemade chicken stock, yet this recipe must be the most flavourful and aromatic. The main difference comes from sautéing the veggies and chicken in one tablespoon oil before adding water. This allows the fresh ingredients to release their wonderful aromas, while the chicken gets a nice light colour on the skin.
While celery can be optional, it is crucial to use spring onions and carrots for their delicious natural sweetness. White onion, cardamom and bay leaves, on the other hand, enhance the beautiful aroma of the stock. It is not recommended to use other fragrant herbs (such as oregano) because if it is strongly flavored, the stock will change the taste of traditional dishes such as Molokheya and Keshk. It is always desirable to keep the taste of chicken stock rich and aromatic, but it must also be neutral enough to work as a base for most dishes.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 medium chicken (or 4 thighs) - دجاج
- 1 large onion (or 2 small) - بصلة
- 2 large carrots - جزر
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 stick celery - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 medium bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 3 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns - حبوب فلفل أسود
- ½ teaspoon sea salt - ملح البحر
- 2 liter water (8 cups) - ماء
Step by step
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add chicken, and all ingredients (except water). Use a wooden spoon to sauté the chicken and veggies in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add water, bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot, and leave to simmer gently on low heat for up to 45 minutes.
- When the stock has cooled enough to handle, pass it through a fine sieve. Use a spoon to press on the veggies in the sieve to get out all their juices into the stock. You can use immediately for cooking, chill in the fridge (to use within 2 days), or divide and freeze in suitable containers.
- To remove the excess fat, chill in the fridge for an hour then remove the fat layer that appears on the surface before using or freezing it.
Everyday Carrot & Pumpkin Soup
A yummy creamy and filling soup, this everyday easy-to-do carrot and pumpkin soup just ticks all...
Clear Zucchini Chicken Soup
الوصفة بالعربي A fresh yet hearty soup is like a warm hug! Especially when it is not...
Chewy Toffee & Nut On Biscuits
It is chewy from the toffee, crunchy from the bottom biscuit while the whole almonds give it a...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]