Most Aromatic Chicken Stock
By shahdan • September 29, 2016
There are lots of ways to preparing a good homemade chicken stock, yet this recipe must be the most flavourful and aromatic. The main difference comes from sautéing the veggies and chicken in one tablespoon oil before adding water. This allows the fresh ingredients to release their wonderful aromas, while the chicken gets a nice light colour on the skin.
While celery can be optional, it is crucial to use spring onions and carrots for their delicious natural sweetness. White onion, cardamom and bay leaves, on the other hand, enhance the beautiful aroma of the stock. It is not recommended to use other fragrant herbs (such as oregano) because if it is strongly flavored, the stock will change the taste of traditional dishes such as Molokheya and Keshk. It is always desirable to keep the taste of chicken stock rich and aromatic, but it must also be neutral enough to work as a base for most dishes.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 medium chicken (or 4 thighs) - دجاج
- 1 large onion (or 2 small) - بصلة
- 2 large carrots - جزر
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 stick celery - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 medium bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 3 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns - حبوب فلفل أسود
- ½ teaspoon sea salt - ملح البحر
- 2 liter water (8 cups) - ماء
Step by step
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add chicken, and all ingredients (except water). Use a wooden spoon to sauté the chicken and veggies in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add water, bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot, and leave to simmer gently on low heat for up to 45 minutes.
- When the stock has cooled enough to handle, pass it through a fine sieve. Use a spoon to press on the veggies in the sieve to get out all their juices into the stock. You can use immediately for cooking, chill in the fridge (to use within 2 days), or divide and freeze in suitable containers.
- To remove the excess fat, chill in the fridge for an hour then remove the fat layer that appears on the surface before using or freezing it.
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through....
Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
الوصفه بالعربي Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]