Most Aromatic Chicken Stock
By shahdan • September 29, 2016
There are lots of ways to preparing a good homemade chicken stock, yet this recipe must be the most flavourful and aromatic. The main difference comes from sautéing the veggies and chicken in one tablespoon oil before adding water. This allows the fresh ingredients to release their wonderful aromas, while the chicken gets a nice light colour on the skin.
While celery can be optional, it is crucial to use spring onions and carrots for their delicious natural sweetness. White onion, cardamom and bay leaves, on the other hand, enhance the beautiful aroma of the stock. It is not recommended to use other fragrant herbs (such as oregano) because if it is strongly flavored, the stock will change the taste of traditional dishes such as Molokheya and Keshk. It is always desirable to keep the taste of chicken stock rich and aromatic, but it must also be neutral enough to work as a base for most dishes.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 medium chicken (or 4 thighs) - دجاج
- 1 large onion (or 2 small) - بصلة
- 2 large carrots - جزر
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 stick celery - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 medium bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 3 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns - حبوب فلفل أسود
- ½ teaspoon sea salt - ملح البحر
- 2 liter water (8 cups) - ماء
Step by step
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add chicken, and all ingredients (except water). Use a wooden spoon to sauté the chicken and veggies in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add water, bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot, and leave to simmer gently on low heat for up to 45 minutes.
- When the stock has cooled enough to handle, pass it through a fine sieve. Use a spoon to press on the veggies in the sieve to get out all their juices into the stock. You can use immediately for cooking, chill in the fridge (to use within 2 days), or divide and freeze in suitable containers.
- To remove the excess fat, chill in the fridge for an hour then remove the fat layer that appears on the surface before using or freezing it.
Fishcakes with Dijon-Mayo Capers Dipping Sauce
This is a perfect fish recipe for kids especially if they are not fish fans. They will definitely...
You know that 'batates sandwich' everyone loves at 'foul' shops? These quesadillas are the Mexican...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]