Most Aromatic Chicken Stock
By shahdan • September 29, 2016
There are lots of ways to preparing a good homemade chicken stock, yet this recipe must be the most flavourful and aromatic. The main difference comes from sautéing the veggies and chicken in one tablespoon oil before adding water. This allows the fresh ingredients to release their wonderful aromas, while the chicken gets a nice light colour on the skin.
While celery can be optional, it is crucial to use spring onions and carrots for their delicious natural sweetness. White onion, cardamom and bay leaves, on the other hand, enhance the beautiful aroma of the stock. It is not recommended to use other fragrant herbs (such as oregano) because if it is strongly flavored, the stock will change the taste of traditional dishes such as Molokheya and Keshk. It is always desirable to keep the taste of chicken stock rich and aromatic, but it must also be neutral enough to work as a base for most dishes.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 medium chicken (or 4 thighs) - دجاج
- 1 large onion (or 2 small) - بصلة
- 2 large carrots - جزر
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 stick celery - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 medium bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 3 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns - حبوب فلفل أسود
- ½ teaspoon sea salt - ملح البحر
- 2 liter water (8 cups) - ماء
Step by step
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add chicken, and all ingredients (except water). Use a wooden spoon to sauté the chicken and veggies in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add cold water, bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot, and leave to simmer gently on low heat for up to 45 minutes.
- When the stock has cooled, pass it through a fine sieve. You can use immediately for cooking, chill in the fridge (to use within 2 days), or divide and freeze in suitable containers.
- To remove the access fat, chill in the fridge for an hour then remove the fat layer that appears on the surface before using or freezing it.
Comforting Potato & Leek Soup
Potatoes and leeks are a match made in heaven. The creaminess of potatoes mixed with the mild...
Traditional Sweet Qatayef
The traditional sweet Qatayef are different in each home. Some people add almonds and pistachios,...
Authentic Neapolitan Italian Pizza
There is nothing quite as comforting as a home-baked treat that fills the house with heart-warming...
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!