Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad
By Shewekar Elgharably • April 14, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
Shewekar Elgharably is a certified health coach and a passionate clean eating cook. She is inspiring us with her rich and nutritious recipes that can help improve our eating habits leaving us more energetic, less stressed, feeling and looking healthier as well as inspired for a cleaner living. You can follow her on Instagram @shewekar or #healthyrocks or search her recipes exclusively here.
Who knew the combination of freekeh and eggplants can be so hearty? The Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad is a side dish that will definitely go on your everyday list! It is also an amazing brunch addition and lunchbox favorite.
Recipe by: Shewekar Elgharably from her article with www.cairocooking.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 large eggplant (sliced into cubes) - باذنجان رومي
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted - صنوبر
- 1 cup parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 drizzle pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in a rice pot and sauté sliced onion until soft.
- Add one cup freekeh to the onion then pour the stock over the freekeh. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and leave to simmer until cooked and stock is absorbed.
- In the meantime, rub eggplant cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper then put it in a 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until roasted.
- Mix cooled freekeh with eggplant cubes, pomegranate seeds, toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.
- Drizzle pomegranate molasses on top. Serve warm or cold.
Banana Nice Cream With Pistachios & Mastic
Simple yet so delicious and guilt-free, this nice cream with pistachio and mastic is a must-try...
Red Thai Chicken Curry
الوصفه بالعربي This delicious Red Curry Chicken dish is super easy for everyday, and...
Yummy Zucchini Carrot Fritters
These Zucchini Carrot Fritters are just so yummy. The kids love them and are ready to add them to...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.