Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad – Comfort Food at its Healthiest
By Shewekar Elgharably • April 14, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
Shewekar Elgharably is a certified health coach and a passionate clean eating cook. She is inspiring us with her rich and nutritious recipes that can help improve our eating habits leaving us more energetic, less stressed, feeling and looking healthier as well as inspired for a cleaner living. You can follow her on Instagram @shewekar or #healthyrocks or search her recipes exclusively here.
Who knew the combination of freekeh and eggplants can be so hearty? With available ingredients, this is a side dish that will definitely go on your everyday list!
Recipe by: Shewekar Elgharably from her article with www.cairocooking.com
- 1 cup freekeh (uncooked) - فريك
- 1 large eggplant (cubed) - باذنجان رومي
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped) - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 cup pomegranate - رمان
- 1/2 cup pine nuts toasted - صنوبر
- 1 cup parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 drizzle pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Sautee the onion in 1 tbsp. olive oil until soft.
- Add one cup freekeh to the onion then pour the stock over the freekeh and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat and leave to simmer until cooked and stock is absorbed.
- Rub the cubed unpeeled eggplant with olive oil, salt and pepper in put in a 180 degree oven for 20 minutes to roast.
- Mix the freekeh with the eggplants, pomegranate, toasted pine nuts and fresh parsley leaves and add a drizzle pomegranate molasses for a sweet tangy flavour.
- Serve warm or cold.
Luscious White Chocolate Lava Cake
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with Easy-pan.com This cake...
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This easy egg salad sandwich is creamy, delicious and super nutritious. It will leave your kids...
Delicious Breakfast: Millet Porridge with Dates & Blueberries
Millet has replaced oats in my book for some time now. I love the texture of it, it tastes more...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]