Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad
By Shewekar Elgharably • April 14, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
Shewekar Elgharably is a certified health coach and a passionate clean eating cook. She is inspiring us with her rich and nutritious recipes that can help improve our eating habits leaving us more energetic, less stressed, feeling and looking healthier as well as inspired for a cleaner living. You can follow her on Instagram @shewekar or #healthyrocks or search her recipes exclusively here.
Who knew the combination of freekeh and eggplants can be so hearty? The Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad is a side dish that will definitely go on your everyday list! It is also an amazing brunch addition and lunchbox favorite.
Recipe by: Shewekar Elgharably from her article with www.cairocooking.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 large eggplant (sliced into cubes) - باذنجان رومي
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted - صنوبر
- 1 cup parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 drizzle pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in a rice pot and sauté sliced onion until soft.
- Add one cup freekeh to the onion then pour the stock over the freekeh. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and leave to simmer until cooked and stock is absorbed.
- In the meantime, rub eggplant cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper then put it in a 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until roasted.
- Mix cooled freekeh with eggplant cubes, pomegranate seeds, toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.
- Drizzle pomegranate molasses on top. Serve warm or cold.
Soy & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
الوصفة بالعربي This luscious chicken stir-fry dish is easy, delicious and packed with...
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This easy egg salad sandwich is creamy, delicious and super nutritious. It will leave your kids...
No-Recipe Roasted Vegetable Platter
This is a very simple recipe that goes a long way. I like to serve it on almost every dinner party...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]