Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad
By Shewekar Elgharably • April 14, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
Shewekar Elgharably is a certified health coach and a passionate clean eating cook. She is inspiring us with her rich and nutritious recipes that can help improve our eating habits leaving us more energetic, less stressed, feeling and looking healthier as well as inspired for a cleaner living. You can follow her on Instagram @shewekar or #healthyrocks or search her recipes exclusively here.
Who knew the combination of freekeh and eggplants can be so hearty? The Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad is a side dish that will definitely go on your everyday list! It is also an amazing brunch addition and lunchbox favorite.
Recipe by: Shewekar Elgharably from her article with www.cairocooking.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 large eggplant (sliced into cubes) - باذنجان رومي
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted - صنوبر
- 1 cup parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 drizzle pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in a rice pot and sauté sliced onion until soft.
- Add one cup freekeh to the onion then pour the stock over the freekeh. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and leave to simmer until cooked and stock is absorbed.
- In the meantime, rub eggplant cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper then put it in a 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until roasted.
- Mix cooled freekeh with eggplant cubes, pomegranate seeds, toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.
- Drizzle pomegranate molasses on top. Serve warm or cold.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your...
Crispy Cauliflower & Broccoli Gratin
So heartwarming and delicious, this baked dish is a perfect veggie option for the whole family. It...
Spring Vegetable Frittata
When you are bored of the daily cooking, Frittata is the answer. It is an Italian omelette that is...
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]