Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad
By Shewekar Elgharably • April 14, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
Shewekar Elgharably is a certified health coach and a passionate clean eating cook. She is inspiring us with her rich and nutritious recipes that can help improve our eating habits leaving us more energetic, less stressed, feeling and looking healthier as well as inspired for a cleaner living. You can follow her on Instagram @shewekar or #healthyrocks or search her recipes exclusively here.
Who knew the combination of freekeh and eggplants can be so hearty? The Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad is a side dish that will definitely go on your everyday list! It is also an amazing brunch addition and lunchbox favorite.
Recipe by: Shewekar Elgharably from her article with www.cairocooking.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 large eggplant (sliced into cubes) - باذنجان رومي
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted - صنوبر
- 1 cup parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 drizzle pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in a rice pot and sauté sliced onion until soft.
- Add one cup freekeh to the onion then pour the stock over the freekeh. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and leave to simmer until cooked and stock is absorbed.
- In the meantime, rub eggplant cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper then put it in a 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until roasted.
- Mix cooled freekeh with eggplant cubes, pomegranate seeds, toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.
- Drizzle pomegranate molasses on top. Serve warm or cold.
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple...
Late Night Date & Custard Pie
This Date & Custard Pie is a result of a ready-made pie crust from Gourmet and the love for...
Cranberry & Almond Bread
This is so comforting, so good and addictive! Not just addictive to eat but also to make. It is the...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]