Beram Freekeh & Meat Cubes
By yasmine • March 29, 2015
This dish is traditionally done with so-called rice pasta (Lessan 3asfur); however, freekeh is a more nutritious substitute for my family and offers a new taste.
This is such a warm and wholesome meal that keeps everyone satisfied. You will need to serve it with a vegetable side or a big salad to make up for the lack of vegetables. This recipe was inspired by an excellent Egyptian family chef.
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 onion (minced) - بصلة
- 1 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 3 cup hot water - ماء ساخن
- 1 tomato (peeled & juiced) - طماطم
Step by step
- On medium heat, fry onions and garlic in ½ tablespoon butter until golden then add beef cubes. Stir the meat until it browns all over, add ¼ cup hot water and lower the heat to cook the meat further.
- After 15 minutes, when the water is absorbed and reduced – add washed freekeh and 3 more cups of hot water and cover.
- In the meantime, rub the inside of a medium deep porcelain or glass dish (beram) with oil and place it empty in the 180C preheated oven for 5 minutes to warm the dish.
- After another 10 minutes of cooking the freekeh with the meat, transfer the mix including the remaining water into the deep dish (beram), stir in the tomato juice and make sure the meat is distributed evenly.
- Cover the dish with foil to keep the top moist and place it in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the rest of the water is absorbed and the freekeh is cooked. Serve it warm.
Traditional Sweet Vermicelli (She3reyya)
Sweet Vermicelli or 'She3reyya bel Sokkar' is the perfect traditional winter warmer when you need...
Red Thai Chicken Curry
الوصفه بالعربي This delicious Red Curry Chicken dish is super easy for everyday, and...
الوصفة بالعربي A fun and tasty dessert Recipe uploaded by Dina...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a fun & filling meal for everyone on a weekday, and a big hit for casual friends’ get-togethers. It is easily prepared in 30 minutes and does not require fancy ingredients. For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Fillets
This roasted red pepper chicken recipe is just so easy and so yum! Ready in less than 30 minutes, this chicken dish is creamy and filling served next to rice. You can also shred the finished chicken and serve it along with its creamy sauce over cooked pasta. Your family and friends will definitely enjoy this […]