Beram Freekeh & Meat Cubes
By yasmine • March 29, 2015
This dish is traditionally done with so-called rice pasta (Lessan 3asfur); however, freekeh is a more nutritious substitute for my family and offers a new taste.
This is such a warm and wholesome meal that keeps everyone satisfied. You will need to serve it with a vegetable side or a big salad to make up for the lack of vegetables. This recipe was inspired by an excellent Egyptian family chef.
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 onion (minced) - بصلة
- 1 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 3 cup hot water - ماء ساخن
- 1 tomato (peeled & juiced) - طماطم
Step by step
- On medium heat, fry onions and garlic in ½ tablespoon butter until golden then add beef cubes. Stir the meat until it browns all over, add ¼ cup hot water and lower the heat to cook the meat further.
- After 15 minutes, when the water is absorbed and reduced – add washed freekeh and 3 more cups of hot water and cover.
- In the meantime, rub the inside of a medium deep porcelain or glass dish (beram) with oil and place it empty in the 180C preheated oven for 5 minutes to warm the dish.
- After another 10 minutes of cooking the freekeh with the meat, transfer the mix including the remaining water into the deep dish (beram), stir in the tomato juice and make sure the meat is distributed evenly.
- Cover the dish with foil to keep the top moist and place it in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the rest of the water is absorbed and the freekeh is cooked. Serve it warm.
Oregano & Sumac Chicken with Classic Freekeh
Oregano & sumac marinated chicken breast fillets are served on a bed of nutritious freekeh, and...
Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes
For all our gluten-free friends out there: These Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes taste exactly like...
Easter Herring (Renga) Salad
My mum always makes this salad on Easter morning. It is yummy and makes eating traditional 'renga'...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Indian Butter Chicken
The Indian Butter Chicken is a restaurant quality dish that you can eat in the comfort of your own home. It is definitely a family favourite, simply served with white rice. The fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger in the sauce make it not only mouthwatering but also wholesome.
Honey Mustard Chicken
If you like easy and tasty chicken recipes, the Honey Mustard Chicken is what you are looking for. It’s flavorful and moist. This recipe does not require any onion chopping, which is always a great plus! Just make sure to leave the chicken in the marinade for an hour at least before cooking. This marinade […]