Walnut & Date Cake
By Marigo Gharbawy • July 27, 2015
Since It is the Eid season after Ramadan, I found everybody is running to do the traditional Eid goodies from Kahk to jam biscuit varieties. But being me (always trying to be different), I decided to do something different and keep the taste of Eid as well. I went for the flavors of Ramadan as well as summer. This cake includes dates, walnuts, cinnamon and complemented by my special ‘Sweet & Salted Toffee Sauce‘ that brings the whole story to an amazing end making you want to bite into another piece!
My family and friends ask me to do this cake in order to take it with them on road trips to satisfy their stomachs while traveling. It is so easy and it takes only minutes with preps and you leave the oven do his thing until you shower and finish packing and ready to hit the road. Having a piece of this cake with a generous drizzle of the salted toffee sauce is HEAVENLY DELICIOUS. Check out my blog www.MarigosBlazingKitchen.com. Recipe by Marigo Gharbawy.
- 500 gram all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 1 teaspoon baking soda - بيكربونات الصودا
- 2 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 1 pinch salt - ملح
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 2 cup milk - لبن
- 200 gram dates (pitted & chopped) - بلح
- 2 cup sugar - سكر
- 200 gram walnut (chopped) - عين جمل / جوز
- 4 eggs - بيض
- 200 gram butter (at room tempreture) - زبدة
- 2 teaspoon vanilla - فانيليا
Step by step
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Grease baking tin with oil and set aside.
- In a medium pot, boil milk and chopped pitted date on medium heat with 1 tsp of vanilla and cinnamon. As soon as the milk boils, turn off the heat and add baking soda and stir. Set aside until it cools down.
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and walnuts).
- In a handheld mixer, whisk butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes until it creamy in colour. Add the eggs one by one then 1 tsp of vanilla. Whisk until all incorporated.
- On a slower pace, whisk in half of the dry ingredients to the butter mix followed by half of the date & milk mixture then the rest of the dry ingredients followed by the rest of the milk.
- Turn the speed on high for a few seconds then turn off to make sure all is incorporated then add the cake mixture to the baking tin.
- Put it in the oven and bake at 180 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until you can insert a cake tester in and it comes out clean.
- Let it cool, preferably on a rack, before you cut into it.
Everyday Carrot & Pumpkin Soup
A yummy creamy and filling soup, this everyday easy-to-do carrot and pumpkin soup just ticks all...
Delicious Breakfast: Millet Porridge with Dates & Blueberries
Millet has replaced oats in my book for some time now. I love the texture of it, it tastes more...
Most Aromatic Chicken Stock
There are lots of ways to preparing a good homemade chicken stock, yet this recipe must be the...
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling the kitchen with the smell lets me think of my grandmother’s house and our family lunches ending with dipping these biscuits in the grown-ups hot teas. Our family calls it ‘our biscotti’ (like the Italian), because it looks and smells like it, yet […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]
Circkle Crackle Nut Candies
These nut candies are such a yummy, sweet and crunchy dessert in little balls. Nuts, seeds, coconut oil & raw molasses are all immunity-boosting, vitmanin-full and overall nutritious foods, which makes this a great treat for kids and health- and weight-concious adults.