Soy & Ginger Bulgur Salad
By shahdan • March 10, 2017
The soy & ginger bulgur is an exotic and tasty salad on its own, as well as a great side dish to grilled poultry, fish or beef.
Bulgur is a kind of cracked wheat, mostly famous for the Lebanese Tabbouleh. It is easily cooked, nutritious and tends to absorb accompanying flavors making it super-delicious. This salad tastes even better the next day, when all fragrant ingredients have blended together. It is a great choice for made-in-advance dishes.
- 1.5 cup bulgur - برغل
- 3 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 cup peas - بسلة
- 1 cup green beans (trimmed and chopped) - فاصوليا خضراء
- 2 medium carrots - جزر
- 1/2 bunch coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- 1/3 cup almonds (raw) - لوز
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 4 tablespoon light soy sauce - صوص الصويا الخفيف
- 1 large lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil - زيت السمسم
- 1.5 tablespoon honey - عسل
Step by step
- Place bulgur in a medium bowl and cover it with the boiling water. Cover the bowl and set aside for 20-30 minutes until bulgur is soft and cooked-through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the veggies. Boil green beans for about 4 minutes or until soft yet still crisp. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Cook the frozen peas in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the carrots then chop them into small cubes. Chop coriander leaves discarding stems.
- Add dressing ingredients to a small jar or bowl, and mix.
- When the bulgur is tender, drain any extra water and place it in a salad bowl. Add veggies, almonds and dressing. Mix gently until well-combined. For best results, cover and refrigerate before serving.
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a...
Banana Peanut Butter Rolls
My son liked to dip bananas in peanut butter for breakfast, and one day he wanted to take to...
Cheat Mango & Mint Pavlova
Nothing beats a home-made dessert when hosting a dinner party. With our Egyptian big impressive...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]