Farmer’s Brunch Omelet
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
Last time I was visiting Germany, I ate this amazing Bauernkartoffeleier – an omelet specialty of Bavaria, the southern region of Germany. It was such a wholesome meal, that I decided to duplicate at home since it seemed so easy and delicious for a Friday brunch or just a regular family breakfast or dinner. It can be tweaked with onions and tomatoes – but I decided to share the basic one I tasted and loved! As most German cooking, this omelet has bacon bits – so I replaced it with beef bacon or any salami you like. You can also replace the chive with minced parsley.
- 6 eggs - بيض
- 1/2 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1 tablespoon water - ماء
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated) - جبنة بارميزان
- drop Tabasco (optional) - صوص تباسكو
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced) - بطاطس
- 50 gram salami (OR beef bacon OR turkey bacon - diced) - سالامي
- 2 tablespoon chives (chopped) - ورق بصل
- pinch black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Melt the butter then add the olive oil into a large pan. Fry the potato slices on medium heat for 10 minutes or until one side is golden.
- In the meantime, mix the eggs with the cream, water, parmesan and Tabasco in a medium bowl. If you won’t use Parmesan, make sure you add a good pinch of salt.
- Add the bacon bits to the potato to fry for a minute and flip the potato slices so you can see the golden side. Make sure to spread the potatoes to one layer before you add the egg mix.
- Make sure the egg mix is spread all over the pan in a thin layer and the potato slices are well distributed in between.
- Add fresh pepper as it cooks then add the minced chives 2 minutes before you take it off the heat (it should take 10 minutes all in all).
- You can serve it once it is cooked or you can flip the omelet on the other side for a minute before doing so – the chives will get a bit of colour.
- Serve with the chives and golden potato side up to show off the beautiful color of the combination.
Creamy Mussels Pasta Tagliatelle
Mussles are so easy to cook yet always add luxury to any menu. This dish takes so little time...
Homemade Bounty Bars
This dessert is based on 3 ingredients only yet delicious and easy to prepare! Your kids will...
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]