By yasmine • July 10, 2015
There is no other name for it! No dictionary has been able to translate this succulent sweet extraordinary fully Egyptian yet forgotten dessert. It is the closest thing to the American donuts, slightly crispy and sweet from the outside and soft with a little chew from the inside.
These are just little pillows from heaven smeared in traditional sugar syrup!
- 2 cup all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 2 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 1 tablespoon butter (almost 20g) - زبدة
- 2 eggs - بيض
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1/4 cup water (lukewarm) - ماء
- pinch salt - ملح
- 2 cup sunflower oil (for frying) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder (OR powdered sugar - optional for dusting) - قرفة
- 2 cup sugar syrup , click Here for full recipe - شربات - قطر
Step by step
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and add the butter and blend further.
- Add eggs and vanilla and blend into a light batter. You will need to add some water if the batter is too dry.
- Stop the blender and take out the dough into one large ball. Then divide the dough into 5 smaller balls. Cover the dough and let it rest for an hour.
- Make sure you dust your work surface then take out the first dough ball and roll it out with the roller until completely flat. Sprinkle it with flour. Bring out the second ball and roll it out next to the first one then lay it over the first one. Sprinkle the top again and roll out the third ball next to it then add it on top. Repeat until you have all the dough layered above each other with little sprinkles of flour in-between.
- Roll out the stack of dough one more time all together before using a pizza cutter or a regular knife to cut through vertically and horizontally to create squares.
- Fry the squares in hot oil until golden and take it out on a paper towel to soak out excessive oil. Then add it to a bowl of cooled syrup. Move it to your favourite serving bowl, dust it with some cinnamon or powder sugar and serve!
Creamy Avocado Hummus
Healthy, nutritious and full of delicious flavours, the Creamy Avocado Hummus dip will be your new...
Traditional Foul BelKhalta
الوصفة بالعربي This traditional foul belKhalta is a family favourite recipe, that we...
Easy, quick, and super nutritious! Re-invent the classic taboula with today's super seed:...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]