By yasmine • July 10, 2015
There is no other name for it! No dictionary has been able to translate this succulent sweet extraordinary fully Egyptian yet forgotten dessert. It is the closest thing to the American donuts, slightly crispy and sweet from the outside and soft with a little chew from the inside.
These are just little pillows from heaven smeared in traditional sugar syrup!
- 2 cup all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 2 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 1 tablespoon butter (almost 20g) - زبدة
- 2 eggs - بيض
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1/4 cup water (lukewarm) - ماء
- pinch salt - ملح
- 2 cup sunflower oil (for frying) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder (OR powdered sugar - optional for dusting) - قرفة
- 2 cup sugar syrup , click Here for full recipe - شربات - قطر
Step by step
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and add the butter and blend further.
- Add eggs and vanilla and blend into a light batter. You will need to add some water if the batter is too dry.
- Stop the blender and take out the dough into one large ball. Then divide the dough into 5 smaller balls. Cover the dough and let it rest for an hour.
- Make sure you dust your work surface then take out the first dough ball and roll it out with the roller until completely flat. Sprinkle it with flour. Bring out the second ball and roll it out next to the first one then lay it over the first one. Sprinkle the top again and roll out the third ball next to it then add it on top. Repeat until you have all the dough layered above each other with little sprinkles of flour in-between.
- Roll out the stack of dough one more time all together before using a pizza cutter or a regular knife to cut through vertically and horizontally to create squares.
- Fry the squares in hot oil until golden and take it out on a paper towel to soak out excessive oil. Then add it to a bowl of cooled syrup. Move it to your favourite serving bowl, dust it with some cinnamon or powder sugar and serve!
Simplified Sayyadeya Fish
This fish sayyadeya casserole is perfect for a lazy summer day. The fish is tender and delicious...
Clear Zucchini Chicken Soup
الوصفة بالعربي A fresh yet hearty soup is like a warm hug! Especially when it is not...
Minted Zucchini Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Even those who don't eat zucchini, will fall in love with this...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]