By yasmine • July 10, 2015
There is no other name for it! No dictionary has been able to translate this succulent sweet extraordinary fully Egyptian yet forgotten dessert. It is the closest thing to the American donuts, slightly crispy and sweet from the outside and soft with a little chew from the inside.
These are just little pillows from heaven smeared in traditional sugar syrup!
- 2 cup all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 2 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 1 tablespoon butter (almost 20g) - زبدة
- 2 eggs - بيض
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1/4 cup water (lukewarm) - ماء
- pinch salt - ملح
- 2 cup sunflower oil (for frying) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder (OR powdered sugar - optional for dusting) - قرفة
- 2 cup sugar syrup , click Here for full recipe - شربات - قطر
Step by step
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and add the butter and blend further.
- Add eggs and vanilla and blend into a light batter. You will need to add some water if the batter is too dry.
- Stop the blender and take out the dough into one large ball. Then divide the dough into 5 smaller balls. Cover the dough and let it rest for an hour.
- Make sure you dust your work surface then take out the first dough ball and roll it out with the roller until completely flat. Sprinkle it with flour. Bring out the second ball and roll it out next to the first one then lay it over the first one. Sprinkle the top again and roll out the third ball next to it then add it on top. Repeat until you have all the dough layered above each other with little sprinkles of flour in-between.
- Roll out the stack of dough one more time all together before using a pizza cutter or a regular knife to cut through vertically and horizontally to create squares.
- Fry the squares in hot oil until golden and take it out on a paper towel to soak out excessive oil. Then add it to a bowl of cooled syrup. Move it to your favourite serving bowl, dust it with some cinnamon or powder sugar and serve!
Baked Fish Fillet with Dukka & Hazelnuts
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Egyptian-style Dukka and crushed...
Eggplant Upside-Down Fatta
Eggplants, yoghurt, garlic and golden crispy bread are just a match made in heaven. Every eggplant...
No-Recipe Roasted Vegetable Platter
This is a very simple recipe that goes a long way. I like to serve it on almost every dinner party...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Dark Chocolate Almond Clusters
These heavenly Chocolate Almond Clusters will be your new favourite treat… and all you really need is good quality dark chocolate and raw almonds.