By shahdan • March 10, 2016
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through. With very basic ingredients, it is no exaggeration to say that the flavours in this Egyptian classic are simply out of this world!
Egga makes a beautiful full-of-veggies dish for a brunch gathering, and an unexpectedly delicious and light dish for a cosy movie night with friends. Leftover slices are also perfect for next day’s lunchbox (just make sure to cover and refrigerate.)
- 2 medium onion - بصلة
- 4 medium tomatoes - طماطم
- 1/2 bunch parsley - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 6 large eggs - بيض
- 1 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the vegetables, finely chop the onions, and dice the tomatoes, discarding the seeds. Chop the parsley leaves.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add onions and cook on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Finally, add parsley, season with salt and pepper, then give it a quick stir and turn off heat. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs until foamy using an electric hand mixer or food processor. Add flour and baking powder and whisk again making sure the mixture is lump-free.
- If the vegetable pan is oven-friendly, pour the egg mixture over the veggies and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the pan comes out clean. Alternatively, use a Pyrex or any oven-proof dish, but make sure to grease it with butter before you add the vegetables and egg mixture.
- Garnish with fresh parsley leaves and serve immediately.
Nutritious Freekeh with Chicken Dish
Extremely nutritious, freekeh is one of the healthiest grains. This grain can be easily cooked into...
Red Thai Chicken Curry
الوصفه بالعربي This delicious Red Curry Chicken dish is super easy for everyday, and...
Fennel & Potato Soup – the ultimate winter warm up!
The warmth of the potato creaminess and the crispiness of the fennel as well as its subtle...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.