Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
By shahdan • November 16, 2016
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with Beef and Spring Onions. The flavours are simply superior! The ingredient helping all the flavours pop, is the spring onion. Whether you choose to serve it as a side rice dish, or as a main dish (since its full of beef), this dish is truly irresistible.
I added some turmeric to the original recipe (I had learned from my friend Yasmine) to add more aroma and colour.
- 500 gram beef (sliced into small cubes or strips) - لحمة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (OR 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter) - زيت زيتون
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 2 small cardamom - حبهان
- 6 stalks spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed) - أرز بسمتي
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon parsley (chopped to garnish) - بقدونس
- 1 handful cashew nuts (OR toasted pine nuts OR almonds to garnish) - الكاجو
Step by step
- In a large rice pot, heat olive oil (and butter if using any). Add beef cubes, followed by all the spices, cardamom pods, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Keep stirring the meat until it browns on all sides (about 10 minutes). Add 5 chopped spring onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups boiling water, and 1 cup washed basmati rice. Give it a quick stir, cover and cook on lowest heat until water is absorbed and rice is cooked (about 25 min). Discard the cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Serve the rice hot topped with freshly chopped spring onions, toasted nuts and parsley.
Minted Zucchini Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Even those who don't eat zucchini, will fall in love with this...
Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes
For all our gluten-free friends out there: These Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes taste exactly like...
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity....
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]