Shami Chicken Fattah
By Fayza Riad • February 16, 2017
An inherited original recipe from my Syrian/Lebanese in-laws. It is super easy, and can be served at room temperature. It will save you the on-the-day hassle if prepared in advance and assembled right before serving.
- 1/2 kg yoghurt - زبادي
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 5 shamy bread (opened and cut evenly in squares) - خبز شامي
- 1 chicken (boiled and cut into bite-size pieces) - دجاج
- 1 handful almonds - لوز
- 1 handful pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying) - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- For the yoghurt topping, mix yoghurt with tahini, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fry bread squares in hot oil until golden and drain on kitchen paper.
- Pour the nuts as a single layer in a small pan and place on medium/low heat. Shake the pan frequently until nuts are toasted and golden (about 3- 4 minutes). Set aside.
- To serve, add a layer of fried bread on the bottom of the serving dish followed by a layer of boiled chicken pieces. Finally, pour the yogurt to cover. Sprinkle almonds and pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Balsamic Dijon Roasted Steak
الوصفه بالعربي This recipe was an entry in the #TheMeatCompete. A super easy &...
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super...
Cinnamon Star Cookies
A childhood favorite, these cinnamon star cookies are a nutty, cinnamony and sweet treat for...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]