Roast Beef On The Stove
By yasmine • May 15, 2015
There are several ways to do a roast beef – some people prefer putting it in the oven while others fry it in a pan, and then maybe place it in the oven or boil it in stock. Whatever your way, you need to make sure it is tied well with cooking rope (or have your butcher do it for you), and keep it in the fridge after you cook it for a day. If you dread cutting it yourself (as I do!), you can take it to the supermarket cold cuts and cheese section and have them cut it on their slider for you.
This is a great meat to keep in the fridge for days and use it for sandwiches, the kids lunchbox or just eat it lightly with a good Dijon.
- Approx. 700 gram beef fillet (1 piece) - فيليه كندوز
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (for pan frying) - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional) - جوزة الطيب
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 onion (cut in quarters) - بصلة
- 2 stem celery (and any greens like parsley, basil, rosemary, oregano) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
Step by step
- Make sure your meat piece is at room temperature before you start cooking it. That way you make sure the whole piece is cooked evenly.
- Mix pepper with nutmeg and minced garlic then rub the meat with it from all sides.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and fry the beef on all sides for about 10 minutes or until all sides have a darker brown colour.
- On medium heat, fill a large pot with 1.5 to 2 litres lukewarm water (as much as needed to cover the beef), add bay leaf, cardamom, onions, salt and greens. Once it boils, put the heat on low to simmer and add the beef.
- Leave it to simmer for 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of your beef log.
- When it is done, leave it in room temperature to cool down before you pack it in shrink sleeve and put in the fridge overnight. That way you will be able to cut through it easier and without crumbs.
Balsamic Roasted Figs with Citrus Ricotta
This is one of those dishes that gets some people impressed from the sweetness combo with the...
Light Sharkaseya & Chicken Dish
This is a simple and straightforward (and light) recipe for traditional Sharkaseya... Recipe by...
Honey Cinnamon Toasties
From 12 months. Make your kids happy with those yummy sweet toasties. Healthy, super simple, and...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]