Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
By shahdan • March 1, 2016
Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown ups love. That is why it is a perfect dish for playdates and kids’ parties. Rice meatballs are absolutely delicious with rice and molokheyya, or with plain pasta. Kids who don’t like tomato sauce love to eat them, just baked, with a dip on the side.
Originally, this kind of meatballs should be fried, however we love to bake them instead!
The meatballs can be cooked in advance and chilled (in the sauce) in the fridge for a day or two.
Recipe yields 25- 30 meatballs.
Turn these meatballs into an exciting Fatta.
- 500 gram minced meat (beef) - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 3 tablespoon rice - أرز
- 1 bunch coriander - كزبرة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 750 gram tomatoes - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
Step by step
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Drain the water then leave the rice in a sieve to dry completely.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Blend rice in a food processor until it breaks into little pieces. Remove from food processor, then blend onion with coriander (after chopping and discarding the long coriander stalks at the end).
- In a bowl, mix the minced beef with the onion, coriander, rice, salt, pepper and all spice until well-combined (using your hands or a fork).
- Use your hands to make small meatballs.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper and bake the meatballs for 20 minutes. Turn them over one time half way through.
- For the tomato sauce, chop your tomatoes and puree in a blender. You can leave it a bit chunky for more texture in the sauce.
- In a big pot, heat one tablespoon olive oil, and add minced garlic. Cook for one minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato puree, salt and pepper. You may add a little water if needed. Leave to boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer until slightly thickened.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and carefully drop them in the sauce.
- Lower the heat and leave them to simmer for 5- 10 minutes. Make sure the meatballs are cooked-through. Adjust salt and pepper and garnish with fresh coriander.
Tasty Cauliflower Rice
This Tasty Cauliflower Rice is the best healthy replacement for rice. No one will believe this is...
Ice Cream Cookie Cups
Whether you're a fan of freezing ice cream on cold winter nights or not, you'll love this...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]