Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
By yasmine • June 1, 2016
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You can replace the meat filling with white cheese & mint, spinach, or a mix of spinach and minced meat.
Meat Goulash is always a great addition to gatherings’ dining table and is usually one of the first dishes to vanish.
- 1 pack filo pastry - جلاش
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 tablespoon butter (about 50g - melted) - زبدة
- 1/4 cup milk - لبن
- 1 egg - بيضة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the minced meat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium pot and fry minced onions until slightly yellow. Stir in minced meat and salt and pepper. Let it cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Mix the rest of the olive oil with melted butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large oven dish or pyrex, put the first sheet of filo pastry (goulash). Brush it with the butter & milk mix, then add another sheet and brush again. Repeat until you have 5 sheets of filo pastry at the bottom of the pyrex.
- Spread the minced meat evenly on top, leaving half a cm from all sides around the edges.
- Add another filo sheet and brush it with the butter & milk mixture. Repeat with the remaining 4 sheets. Before brushing the top layer, whisk an egg with the butter & milk mix. Thoroughly brush the top layer with it. Then tuck the sides of the top layer down the edges of the oven dish to partially close the sides of the pie.
- Cut the pie into even squares (about 5cm x 5cm) before you place it in the oven. That way you will avoid cracking it or cutting it unevenly after it bakes.
- Place the oven dish in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes to cook evenly. If the top doesn't turn golden, put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes before taking out of the oven. Serve it warm.
Everyday Mushroom Risotto
I used to get scared of risotto until I found my sister cooks it as a last minute dish when she was...
Fig & Pomegranate Green Salad
With fresh healthy greens, sweet figs and super nutritious pomegranates, this extremely easy to...
Soy & Ginger Bulgur Salad
The soy & ginger bulgur is an exotic and tasty salad on its own, as well as a great side dish...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]