Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
By shahdan • January 10, 2016
I don’t find Mahshi that interesting for dinner parties, therefore I decided to take the best recipe I know, and turn it into something more exciting: Mahshi -mesh Mahshi. Not only is it much easier to prepare, but it is also more modern and cheerful! If you read the amount of veggies and greens that go into mahshi, you will fall in love with that Egyptian classic all over again.
Every Egyptian household has its own unique mahshi recipe. Having tried so many, I can confidently argue that the original recipe used for this dish is by far the best I ever tried. The recipe is by a wonderful Egyptian home cook, Neamat, who masters these beautiful typical Egyptian dishes. But Mahshi is definetly her specialty – the flavors are simply impeccable. When you eat it, you can definetly taste the amount of passion and love put into it.
- 2 large onions (minced) - بصل
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1/2 kg tomatoes (blended & sieved) - طماطم
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 2 cup rice (for this specific recipe we use 1.5 mugs) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 bunch coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- 1 bunch mint (finely chopped) - نعناع
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock (OR vegetable stock) - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 kg eggplant - باذنجان رومي
- 1/4 kg zucchini - كوسة
- 1/4 kg bell pepper - فلفل ملون
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
Step by step
- To prepare the vegetables, cut the eggplants, zucchini and bell peppers into medium thick slices, drizzle with olive oil, salt and garlic powder and arrange on a baking tray. Bake in a 200C preheated oven, turning occasionaly until nice and soft (around 30 min). You may need to use your oven grill. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare the rice, sauté onions in oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until soft.
- Add fresh tomato juice and tomato paste and leave to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in washed rice and cook over very low heat while stirring until it absorbs the tomato juice. It is not cooked yet but turn off the heat.
- Add pomegranate molasses, finely choppped coriander, mint and parsely, followed by salt, pepper, and ginger powder. Mix well.
- To cook the rice through, add stock and 1 tablespoon of butter (optional), cover and leave to cook over the lowest heat until cooked through. (You might need to to add extra stock.)
- When the rice is cooked, add the roasted veggies and use a fork to gently fluff up the rice with the veggies. Leave to cook for further 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.
The Shrimp Fatta
الوصفه بالعربي This is originally a Crave recipe that I learned to do at home. It...
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through....
Orzo & Vegetable Soup (Lessan Asfour)
This is one of the simplest, yet most delicious soups. All you really need is good homemade chicken...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]