By shahdan • November 17, 2015
Hummus falafel is a great variation of the traditional broad bean (foul) falafel. This recipe will be of special interest to anyone living abroad, because chickpeas are much easier to find than the Egyptian ‘foul madshoush’. You will be surprised by how easy it is to prepare the falafel at home. All you really need is a good food processor. Soak the chickpeas in water overnight, and you will not need more than 15 minutes in the next morning to prepare the greenest and most delicious falafel dough. You may then divide it into smaller portions, and freeze it in suitable containers.
- 500 gram chickpeas (soaked for 12 hours or overnight) - حمص
- 2 cup leek (chopped leeks) - كرات
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1 bunch parsley - بقدونس
- 1/2 bunch coriander - كزبرة
- 2 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 2 teaspoon salt (or to taste) - ملح
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 cup vegetable oil (to fry one batch) - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- Drain the soaked chickpeas and rinse with fresh water then place them in a food processor.
- Roughly chop the upper green parts of the parsley and coriander (it's ok to keep some stalks).
- Blend all ingredients together (except the frying oil) until you reach a relatively smooth falafel dough. Pour the dough into a bowl and use a fork to give it another stir to ensure all ingredients are well-combined.
- To fry, heat oil in a deep pan. Use your hands to form falafel patties and carefully drop one by one in the hot oil. You may also use an ice cream scoop. Fry until golden then transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.
Sugarless Banana Brownies
This banana brownies recipe is the one you go to when you have a sweet tooth or want to make your...
Figs & Goat Cheese Oregano Pie
Fig season is here and can't stop thinking of all the fun recipes we can prepare using figs. It is...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]