Halawa & Chocolate Spread
By Jummana Lotfy • August 19, 2015
Recipe by Jummana Lotfy.
Egyptian Nutella, as my kids like to call it, is an easy recipe for halawa and chocolate spread. This has become a staple in our house and it lasts between 3 weeks to a month. My kids have it over breakfast and take it with them to school. It is free of hydrogenated oils, soya lecithin, sugar and emulsifiers, which are all part of the different halawa spreads you find at the market. And guess what? It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare!
According to www.mindbodygreen.com, these are the 10 health benefits of tahini:
- It is rich in minerals such as phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potassium and iron.
- It is a good source of Methionine, which aids in liver detoxification.
- It is one of the best sources of calcium out there.
- It is high in vitamin E and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B15.
- Helps promote healthy cell growth.
- Helps prevent anaemia.
- Helps maintain a healthy skin and muscle tone.
- It has 20% complete protein, making it a higher protein source than most nuts.
- It is easy for your body to digest because of its high alkaline mineral content assisting in weight loss.
- It is high in unsaturated fat (good fat!)
- 1 cup tahini - طحينة
- 1/2 cup honey (OR 90ml Agave nectar) - عسل
- 3-5 teaspoon cocoa powder - بودرة كاكاو
Step by step
- Gradually, mix the honey into the sesame paste (tahini) and keep on stirring until it looks like a paste.
- If you don't like chocolate halawa spread, you can stop at this point and your halawa spread is ready! I usually take some of the halawa spread and add 3-5 teaspoons of pure cocoa to it & stir. (You can use Hershey's pure cocoa, Nestle Toll House or Kent Boringer pure cocoa). If you will use the whole batch, then add more cocoa. Bon Appetit!
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and...
Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad
Who knew the combination of freekeh and eggplants can be so hearty? The Warm Freekeh Eggplant...
Homemade Fresh Fish Stock
Fish broth is easy and quick to make with ingredients available in your household. It will go into...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.