By shahdan • September 28, 2018
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here.
Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using leftover (or precooked and frozen) minced beef bolognese sauce, that I usually have in small batches in my freezer to serve on spaghetti on busy days.
This recipe serves four if served with salad and bread only. But if is is part of a bigger menu, it would be enough for six.
If you prefer your moussaka with béchamel, you can add a cheesy béchamel sauce layer on top before pooping it into the oven. It looks more impressive in dinner parties, yet it’s lighter and easier without it for you everyday.
- 1 kg eggplant (sliced) - باذنجان رومي
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (OR olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 cup bell peppers (thinly sliced red, yellow & green) - فلفل ملون
- 1/3 cup raisins - زبيب
- 1 cup Bolognese sauce (pre-cooked with minced beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1.5 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large tray with parchment paper (optional) and generously brush the paper (or tray) with oil.
- Slice eggplants into medium thick circles and arrange on baking tray. Brush the eggplants with more oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake for 25 minutes (turning them over half way through) or until eggplants slices are golden and soft (depending on your oven).
- While eggplant slices are roasting, shallow- fry the bell peppers in a little oil. When the bell peppers have wilted, add raisins and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain bell pepper/raisins mix on kitchen tissue. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.
- To assemble moussaka, spread 1 tablespoon bolognese sauce over a 20x25 cm Pyrex. Then arrange half of the eggplants slices next to each other to create the base layer. Drizzle vinegar on top.
- Add the bell pepper/raisins mix, spread and press firmly.
- Next, spread about 3 tablespoons bolognese sauce over the eggplants (just enough to create a very thin layer). Sprinkle with oregano.
- Arrange remaining eggplants into a top layer. Add 2 tablespoons bolognese sauce more and spread, while pressing the moussaka firmly with a spoon.
- Bake in 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbly. Serve warm with Baladi bread and next to a green salad.
Zaatar & Seeds Baked Fish Fillet
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Zaatar, pumpkin seeds and crushed...
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Creamy Salmon Fillets Farfelle
Creamy & heavenly, the Salmon Farfelle Pasta is a restaurant-quality dish, in the comfort of...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Leave a comment