Date & Almond Qatayef
By yasmine • January 29, 2018
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving.
For the sugar syrup recipe click here.
- 1/2 kg Qatayef - قطايف
- 20 dates (use smaller dates like Rotab or Sagei) - بلح
- 100g almonds (whole unpeeled) - لوز
- 2 cup frying oil - زيت للقلي
- 1.5 cup sugar syrup - شربات - قطر
Step by step
- Deseed dates and replace the seeds with a piece of almond inside the date.
- Put one filled date inside each Qatayef and close it tightly.
- In the meantime heat the frying oil. It will need about 5 minutes on medium heat to reach the heat required for frying. If you drop one Qatayef piece and it doesn't sizzle straight away, then you will need to wait a bit longer to achieve crispy yet gooey Qatayef.
- After frying move them onto a prepared tray covered with kitchen paper to soak the excess oil for a minute. Then move the hot Qatayef into a bowl of sugar syrup (at room tempreture).
- Stir the Qatayef in the syrup then move them to the serving dish. You can dust them with some cinnamon if you prefer before serving immediately.
Indian Butter Chicken
The Indian Butter Chicken is a restaurant quality dish that you can eat in the comfort of your own...
Easy Shrimp Stir-Fry
This is a very easy dinner party dish that will wow your guests. It is also loaded with healthy...
Simple Greens Chicken Broth
Nothing can replace a good homemade chicken broth. Prepare it in large quantities, freeze it, and...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]