Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
By shahdan • April 8, 2015
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish, and adding a little lemon zest at the end adds an extra kick to an all-time favourite.
- 250 gram mushrooms - عش الغراب
- 500 ml vegetable stock - مرقة خضار
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 teaspoon thyme - زعتر
- 1/2 cup basil - fresh - ريحان
- 1 large lemon zest - قشر الليمون
- 200 ml cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1 tablespoon flour (dissolved in little water) - دقيق
- 500 gram pasta - معكرونة
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese - freshly grated - جبنة بارميزان
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - or to taste - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping one by one with a clean wet/damp towel or paper towel. Don’t rinse with water because mushrooms soak up the water like a sponge.
- Slice the mushrooms into thin slices.
- In a big pan, heat the olive oil, and sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, season with black pepper and thyme, and sauté further until the mushrooms have softened a little (about 5 minutes).
- Add the stock and boil for 10 minutes uncovered until it has reduced a little.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente (follow the instructions on the pasta bag). Do not rinse pasta with water. Just drain.
- Add the cooking cream to the mushroom and stock, followed by the flour dissolved in ¼ cup of water (make sure there are no lumps) and leave to simmer on a medium heat until you have reached the desired thickness of the sauce.
- Add a bunch of fresh basil and adjust seasoning.
- Mix pasta and sauce together, garnish with fresh basil and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan and zest of one lemon.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar...
Soy & Ginger Bulgur Salad
The soy & ginger bulgur is an exotic and tasty salad on its own, as well as a great side dish...
Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle
This Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle is the simplest way to the heart of a loved one. It impresses with...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]