Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup
By shahdan • December 29, 2015
Pure happiness in a bowl… There is something really special about it, it’s creamy, delicate and super comforting. I learned it from my mom, but it’s always more special when she cooks it for us! When she serves it on her table, everyone asks for more (and for the recipe, too)!
- 1 can sweet corn - ذرة حلوه
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 3 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 1 liter half cream milk - لبن نصف دسم
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock (or 2 cubes dissolved in 2 cups of hot water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 large chicken breast (cooked) - صدور دجاج
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1/4 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Drain the sweet corn water. Melt 1/2 tbsp. butter in a small pot and cook the corn on low heat for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt the remaining butter and oil. Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes (until the flour bubbles), then add the milk.
- Whisk continously, making sure there are no lumps and continue whisking as the milk warms and thickens. Do not rush this step, you need the milk to get thicker before you add the stock (15- 20 minutes).
- Stir in the hot chicken stock (or the cubes dissolved in water.) Lower the heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the cooked chicken into small pieces, and add it to the soup together with the sweet corn and the cooking cream. Adjust salt and pepper, leave it to simmer for a further 5 minutes and serve.
- If you need to reheat the soup later, you might need to add a little (around 1/4 cup) water.
No-Recipe Roasted Vegetable Platter
This is a very simple recipe that goes a long way. I like to serve it on almost every dinner party...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Tomatoey Pasta Sauce With Lots of Greens
This is the grown up version of the kids healthy tomato pasta sauce - with added fresh spinach and...
Broccoli and Avocado Soup
Creamy, refreshing and so easy to prepare, the Broccoli and Avocado Soup is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It will be your new favourite soup.
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Leek & Onion Soup
A heartwarming soup that must be prepared every winter in our household. It fits most menus because of its lightness, simplicity and goes well with any protein or carb dish. You can have it light without the toast but you defiantly treat yourself to a restaurant quality dish with some good melted cheese on toast.
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]