By shahdan • April 13, 2016
One famous childhood recipe… This is how my grandma used to serve artichokes. It makes a great healthy snack. Now, I find it the perfect way to introduce artichokes to kids. They just fall in love with the way it is eaten: pull out one leave, dip its tip in the cumin dressing and bite into the tip of the leave. It is fun, healthy, and full of good nutrients. So enjoy this recipe before the artichoke season is over!
- 4 medium artichoke - خرشوف
- 1 teaspoon flour - دقيق
- 1 small lime - ليمون بلدي
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (or sunflower oil) - زيت زيتون
- 1.5 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Wash the artichokes and place them in a big pot. Cover with water and add flour and lime juice.
- Bring to the boil then lower the heat to medium and let it simmer until the artichokes are cooked through. You know they are cooked when you pull out one leaf and it comes out easily.
- Drain the artichokes and place on a serving tray.
- Add the dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake until well-combined. Serve the dressing next to the artichokes.
Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It...
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This easy egg salad sandwich is creamy, delicious and super nutritious. It will leave your kids...
Lentils & Apple Salad
I tried this Lentils & Apple Salad at a friend's dinner and I fell in love with it. Without...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]