Egyptian White Rice
By shahdan • May 11, 2016
Cooking simple white rice can be quite challenging for lots of people. This is a simple recipe that can hopefully be helpful.
- 2 cup rice (Egyptian white rice) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 2.5 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 small cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Wash the rice and leave in a sieve to drain. Boil water in the kettle.
- In a medium pot, melt butter with oil. Add rice and stir for a couple of minutes on medium heat.
- Using the same cup used to measure rice, add 2.5 cups boiling water, salt to taste, and cardamom (if using any).
- Let it boil uncovered on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Cover pot and lower heat to a minimum, and leave to cook. Don't uncover the rice too often while it is cooking, so you don't let the steam get out. Uncover rice after 25 minutes and use a fork to check if the rice is cooked through. If you feel it's not tender, cover and leave to cook a little longer until cooked through.
Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake
Easy & quick Chocolate Mug Cake to satisfy your chocolate craving. Recipe uploaded by Noha...
Sweet Couscous has always been a classic on my grandmother's dessert table. As children, we used to...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]