Egyptian White Rice
By shahdan • May 11, 2016
Cooking simple white rice can be quite challenging for lots of people. This is a simple recipe that can hopefully be helpful.
- 2 cup rice (about 500g) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 1 small bay leaf (optional) - ورق لاورا
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka (optional) - مستكة
- 2 small cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- 2.5 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Wash the rice and leave in a sieve to drain. Boil water in the kettle.
- In a medium pot, melt butter with oil. Add cardamom, mastic and bay leaf and give them a quick stir, then add rice and stir for a couple of minutes on medium heat until all the rice is covered with fat.
- Using the same cup used to measure rice, add 2.5 cups boiling water and salt (to taste).
- Let it boil uncovered on medium heat for 3 minutes or until rice has absorbed some of the water.
- Cover pot and lower heat to a minimum, and leave to cook. Don't uncover the rice too often while it is cooking, so you don't let the steam get out. Uncover rice after 25 minutes and use a fork to check if the rice is cooked through. If you feel it's not tender, cover and leave to cook a little longer until cooked through.
Crunchy French Fries with a Kick
With little twists like soaking in vinegar and seasoning with paprika, these traditional fries are...
Creamy Chicken Mushroom with Spinach & Corn
Creamy Chicken Mushroom is always a crowd pleaser and a hearty home-cooked dish. The spinach...
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]