Egyptian White Rice
By shahdan • May 11, 2016
Cooking simple white rice can be quite challenging for lots of people. This is a simple recipe that can hopefully be helpful.
- 2 cup rice (Egyptian white rice) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 2.5 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 small cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Wash the rice and leave in a sieve to drain. Boil water in the kettle.
- In a medium pot, melt butter with oil. Add rice and stir for a couple of minutes on medium heat.
- Using the same cup used to measure rice, add 2.5 cups boiling water, salt to taste, and cardamom (if using any).
- Let it boil uncovered on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Cover pot and lower heat to a minimum, and leave to cook. Don't uncover the rice too often while it is cooking, so you don't let the steam get out. Uncover rice after 25 minutes and use a fork to check if the rice is cooked through. If you feel it's not tender, cover and leave to cook a little longer until cooked through.
Baked Chicken Meatballs with Quinoa & Oats
الوصفه بالعربي From 12 months. These baked chicken quinoa meatballs are low in fat...
Lemony Okra with Garlic & Coriander
This is one of my very favorite home recipes! Unlike the traditional okra cooked with tomato sauce,...
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto Sauce
This Zucchini Noodles recipe is amazing for kids as it gives them the feel of eating noodles not...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]