Egyptian White Rice
By shahdan • May 11, 2016
Cooking simple white rice can be quite challenging for lots of people. This is a simple recipe that can hopefully be helpful.
- 2 cup rice (Egyptian white rice) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 2.5 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 small cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Wash the rice and leave in a sieve to drain. Boil water in the kettle.
- In a medium pot, melt butter with oil. Add rice and stir for a couple of minutes on medium heat.
- Using the same cup used to measure rice, add 2.5 cups boiling water, salt to taste, and cardamom (if using any).
- Let it boil uncovered on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Cover pot and lower heat to a minimum, and leave to cook. Don't uncover the rice too often while it is cooking, so you don't let the steam get out. Uncover rice after 25 minutes and use a fork to check if the rice is cooked through. If you feel it's not tender, cover and leave to cook a little longer until cooked through.
The egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried...
White Beans Mayonnaise with a Kick
This is a great dressing for grilled meat replacing fatty mayonnaise and heavy sauces. You can...
Lemon Butter Chicken
الوصفة بالعربي A new, moist and buttery take on a classic chicken dish. Recipe...
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.
Baked Fish Fillet with Dukka & Hazelnuts
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Egyptian-style Dukka and crushed hazelnuts. The herbs in most Dukka recipes are just a perfect pair to white fish while the nuts along with the sesame in the Dukka creates a light crust to the fish without covering it completely, keeping it moist and tender. You can […]