Egyptian White Rice
By shahdan • May 11, 2016
Cooking simple white rice can be quite challenging for lots of people. This is a simple recipe that can hopefully be helpful.
- 2 cup rice (Egyptian white rice) - أرز
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 2.5 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 small cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Wash the rice and leave in a sieve to drain. Boil water in the kettle.
- In a medium pot, melt butter with oil. Add rice and stir for a couple of minutes on medium heat.
- Using the same cup used to measure rice, add 2.5 cups boiling water, salt to taste, and cardamom (if using any).
- Let it boil uncovered on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Cover pot and lower heat to a minimum, and leave to cook. Don't uncover the rice too often while it is cooking, so you don't let the steam get out. Uncover rice after 25 minutes and use a fork to check if the rice is cooked through. If you feel it's not tender, cover and leave to cook a little longer until cooked through.
Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family....
Sweet Potato & Marshmallow Casserole
الوصفه بالعربي Delicious homemade combo of sweet potato, crumble and roasted...
Salmon with Cold Fresh Oriental Salsa
Inspired by the traditional fattoush, this out-of-the-box salmon dish is fresh, lemony and full of...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]