The Shrimp Fatta
By Fayza Riad • September 21, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This is one of those wholesome dishes that look great and are so comforting and delicious. We can imagine it being a conversation starter at a gathering - at which it will also probably vanish cause everyone will just love it. We made some minor changes to it - but it is still an easy straight forward recipe. We felt not to overcook the shrimp, we should remove it from the tomato sauce after 5 minutes from mixing them together and let the sauce simmer in the juices. We also squeezed some lemon juice on the shrimps before adding it to the layers for a kick of freshness.
This is originally a Crave recipe that I learned to do at home. It wows all my guests and it ends up on their posts and pictures!
- 1 kg shrimp (medium size, head & tail removed) - جمبري
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger (freshly grated) - جنزبيل
- 4 cup tomato juice - عصير طماطم
- 3 cup cooked rice - ارز مطبوخ
- 4 baladi bread (cut in medium squares) - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon butter (melted OR 4 tablespoon olive oil) - زبدة
Step by step
- To prepare the bread: Preheat oven to 200C and line an oven tray with parchment paper. Toss the bread squares in the butter and 1 teaspoon grated ginger/ then spread them on the oven tray. Place it in the middle of the oven until crisp.
- To prepare the shrimp sauce: In a sauce pan, stir fry the garlic and ginger then add the shrimps. When shrimps turn white (cooked from outside), add tomato juice and paste then sprinkle in salt and pepper to your taste. Let it simmer till the sauce thickens a bit (about 25-30 minutes).
- For serving (just before eating): In a large serving dish, put all the crispy bread in the bottom. Drizzle it with two ladles of tomato sauce (without the shrimp). Then add a layer of the cooked rice (after reheating). Follow it with the shrimp pieces with some tomato sauce (key is not to soak the rice with the sauce).
This pan-seared scallops recipe is very easy and simple. Scallops are highly nutritious, full of...
Tasty Cauliflower Rice
This Tasty Cauliflower Rice is the best healthy replacement for rice. No one will believe this is...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]