Hearty Homemade Om Ali
By Mai Saleh • December 2, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We could not resist testing this yummy family recipe for the much loved Om Ali dessert. We doubled the quantities to create one family tajeen for (4-6 people). Accordingly, we used a whole 400 gram puff pastry pack. To this we added 1 liter milk (around 4 cups), 2 tablespoons butter and 8 tablespoons sugar. We added 4 tablespoons cream on top. The result was a hearty homemade Om Ali! A must-try! Have some extra milk ready just in case all the milk is absorbed by the pastry. We felt that 20-25 minutes were enough baking time in order to keep the pastry a bit soggy and not too dry inside.
Om Ali is a lovely old oriental dessert – here it is made easy!
(This recipe yields two small tajeens for two persons).
Recipe uploaded by Mai Saleh.
- 1/2 pack puff pastry (about 200g ready puff pastry square pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 2 cup milk - لبن
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 handful nuts (almonds, hazelnuts and/or coconut) - مكسرات
- 2 teaspoon raisins - زبيب
- 6 teaspoon cream - قشطة
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. In a baking tray, arrange 6 squares of puff pastry. Bake until puffed and nicely golden. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Use your hands to break 3 puff pastry squares into each of the 2 small tajeens. Add nuts and raisins to taste, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the milk and mix it with the butter, sugar and vanilla. Pour the milk over the pastry in each tajeen, making sure it covers all the pastry.
- Spoon the cream on top and bake in a 180C for 30 minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
Banana Peanut Butter Rolls
My son liked to dip bananas in peanut butter for breakfast, and one day he wanted to take to...
Banana Chocolate Wheat Cakes Toasties
The Banana Honey-based Chocolate Wheat Cakes Toasties are an incredibly nutritious yet sweet...
Crunchy Asian Salad
Refreshing, crunchy and full of flavour! This is the salad to choose when you are serving Asian...
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]