Hearty Homemade Om Ali
By Mai Saleh • December 2, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We could not resist testing this yummy family recipe for the much loved Om Ali dessert. We doubled the quantities to create one family tajeen for (4-6 people). Accordingly, we used a whole 400 gram puff pastry pack. To this we added 1 liter milk (around 4 cups), 2 tablespoons butter and 8 tablespoons sugar. We added 4 tablespoons cream on top. The result was a hearty homemade Om Ali! A must-try! Have some extra milk ready just in case all the milk is absorbed by the pastry. We felt that 20-25 minutes were enough baking time in order to keep the pastry a bit soggy and not too dry inside.
Om Ali is a lovely old oriental dessert – here it is made easy!
(This recipe yields two small tajeens for two persons).
Recipe uploaded by Mai Saleh.
- 1/2 pack puff pastry (about 200g ready puff pastry square pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 2 cup milk - لبن
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 handful nuts (almonds, hazelnuts and/or coconut) - مكسرات
- 2 teaspoon raisins - زبيب
- 6 teaspoon cream - قشطة
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. In a baking tray, arrange 6 squares of puff pastry. Bake until puffed and nicely golden. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Use your hands to break 3 puff pastry squares into each of the 2 small tajeens. Add nuts and raisins to taste, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the milk and mix it with the butter, sugar and vanilla. Pour the milk over the pastry in each tajeen, making sure it covers all the pastry.
- Spoon the cream on top and bake in a 180C for 30 minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
Spinach & Carrot Brown Rice Medley
From 9 months. Like most leafy greens, most doctors allow spinach from 9 months. Spinach is a...
Chicken Salad Sandwich with Dried Cranberries
For a hassle-free morning, prepare this creamy chicken-salad sandwich filler one day in advance...
Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with...
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Kofta Panee is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely for […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]