Hearty Homemade Om Ali
By Mai Saleh • December 2, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We could not resist testing this yummy family recipe for the much loved Om Ali dessert. We doubled the quantities to create one family tajeen for (4-6 people). Accordingly, we used a whole 400 gram puff pastry pack. To this we added 1 liter milk (around 4 cups), 2 tablespoons butter and 8 tablespoons sugar. We added 4 tablespoons cream on top. The result was a hearty homemade Om Ali! A must-try! Have some extra milk ready just in case all the milk is absorbed by the pastry. We felt that 20-25 minutes were enough baking time in order to keep the pastry a bit soggy and not too dry inside.
Om Ali is a lovely old oriental dessert – here it is made easy!
(This recipe yields two small tajeens for two persons).
Recipe uploaded by Mai Saleh.
- 1/2 pack puff pastry (about 200g ready puff pastry square pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 2 cup milk - لبن
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 handful nuts (almonds, hazelnuts and/or coconut) - مكسرات
- 2 teaspoon raisins - زبيب
- 6 teaspoon cream - قشطة
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. In a baking tray, arrange 6 squares of puff pastry. Bake until puffed and nicely golden. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Use your hands to break 3 puff pastry squares into each of the 2 small tajeens. Add nuts and raisins to taste, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the milk and mix it with the butter, sugar and vanilla. Pour the milk over the pastry in each tajeen, making sure it covers all the pastry.
- Spoon the cream on top and bake in a 180C for 30 minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
3-Ingredient Banana Pancakes
Here is a healthy low calorie, gluten free breakfast recipe! A recipe by Maha...
Zesty Fresh Spinach & Beetroot Salad
Vibrant, nutritious and full of bold textures and flavours... This salad will blow your mind away!...
Homemade Bounty Bars
This dessert is based on 3 ingredients only yet delicious and easy to prepare! Your kids will...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.