Hearty Homemade Om Ali
By Mai Saleh • December 2, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We could not resist testing this yummy family recipe for the much loved Om Ali dessert. We doubled the quantities to create one family tajeen for (4-6 people). Accordingly, we used a whole 400 gram puff pastry pack. To this we added 1 liter milk (around 4 cups), 2 tablespoons butter and 8 tablespoons sugar. We added 4 tablespoons cream on top. The result was a hearty homemade Om Ali! A must-try! Have some extra milk ready just in case all the milk is absorbed by the pastry. We felt that 20-25 minutes were enough baking time in order to keep the pastry a bit soggy and not too dry inside.
Om Ali is a lovely old oriental dessert – here it is made easy!
(This recipe yields two small tajeens for two persons).
Recipe uploaded by Mai Saleh.
- 1/2 pack puff pastry (about 200g ready puff pastry square pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 2 cup milk - لبن
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 handful nuts (almonds, hazelnuts and/or coconut) - مكسرات
- 2 teaspoon raisins - زبيب
- 6 teaspoon cream - قشطة
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. In a baking tray, arrange 6 squares of puff pastry. Bake until puffed and nicely golden. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Use your hands to break 3 puff pastry squares into each of the 2 small tajeens. Add nuts and raisins to taste, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the milk and mix it with the butter, sugar and vanilla. Pour the milk over the pastry in each tajeen, making sure it covers all the pastry.
- Spoon the cream on top and bake in a 180C for 30 minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
Cheesy Steaks with Cream Mushroom Sauce
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. An easy flavorful...
الوصفه بالعربي The traditional homemade Egyptian kofta is just so simple to prepare...
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]