Crispy Cauliflower & Broccoli Gratin
By yasmine • March 18, 2016
So heartwarming and delicious, this baked dish is a perfect veggie option for the whole family. It is crispy on the outside, and rich & creamy on the inside. It makes an ideal vegetable dish at dinner parties next to meat or fish.
- 1-1.5 cup cauliflower (small florets) - قرنبيط
- 2 cup broccoli (small florets) - بروكلى
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 2 cup milk (preferably skimmed) - لبن
- salt and pepper (generous) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 slice toast (OR 2 small buns) - توست
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 tablespoon parmesan cheese - جبنة بارميزان
Step by step
- In a food processor, pulse the bread slices with olive oil for a minute. It should turn into chunky crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In large saucepan, melt butter on low heat. Add flour and stir until combined - about a 1 minute. Stir in the milk slowly making sure to dissolve the flour lumps in the process. Season generoulsy with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Adjust heat to medium in order to bring the whole mix to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower florets, reduce heat again and cover for about 10 minutes. The mixture will become creamy with semi-cooked broccoli and cauliflower.
- Transfer to a 20x20cm baking dish or pyrex. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top followed by grated parmesan.
- Place it in the middle of the oven for another 15 minutes until broccoli is cooked through and breadcrumbs are golden. Serve warm next to rice and protein.
Roasted Herbed Quail with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Sometimes we need to have an outside of the box meal so I came up with...
Cozy Cauliflower Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This soup is the perfect hug in a mug. Even those who wouldn't...
Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker...
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.