By shahdan • January 30, 2019
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal.
I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish lies in good-quality homemade chicken stock. If you want my perfect chicken stock recipe, click here.)
If you live abroad, don’t use Greek yoghurt because it is too thick. Choose full fat natural yoghurt instead.
For best results, leave the yoghurt-flour mixture to rest overnight outside the fridge.
NOTE: Cooking time does not include yoghurt resting time.
- 2 cup yoghurt (110 gram each) - زبادي
- 4 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 1/2 cup milk - لبن
- 2.5 cup chicken broth/stock (about 600 ml) - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 small lime (juiced - OPTIONAL) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 medium onion (sliced) - بصلة
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- In a bowl, mix yoghurt and flour and leave to rest for a couple of hours outside the fridge (for best results leave it overnight).
- Add milk to the yoghurt-flour mixture to thin it out and whisk.
- Move the mixture to a medium pot and heat gently on medium low heat, while gradually adding warm chicken stock and whisking to the desired consistency (like milk pudding). Note that Keshk thickens more after cooling. You don't have to use the full chicken stock quantity if you are happy with the consistency with less stock than advised here.
- Adjust salt and pepper, add juice of half a lime (optional), then pour keshk into the serving dish/bowl. (You can also add cooked chicken slices to it before pouring into the serving bowl).
- Chop the onion into small thin slices and fry in oil until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle over the keshk. Serve warm with chicken and rice or with baladi bread.
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Crunchy Tuna & Capers Salad
With lots of greens, the tuna and capers salad is so simple yet delicious due to its sweet and...
Oven-Baked Herb Fish
To add more fish to your weekly meals, try this hassle-free Oven-Baked Herb Fish recipe! In less...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]