By shahdan • January 30, 2019
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal.
I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish lies in good-quality homemade chicken stock. If you want my perfect chicken stock recipe, click here.)
If you live abroad, don’t use Greek yoghurt because it is too thick. Choose full fat natural yoghurt instead.
For best results, leave the yoghurt-flour mixture to rest overnight outside the fridge.
NOTE: Cooking time does not include yoghurt resting time.
- 2 cup yoghurt (110 gram each) - زبادي
- 4 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 1/2 cup milk - لبن
- 2.5 cup chicken broth/stock (about 600 ml) - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 small lime (juiced - OPTIONAL) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 medium onion (sliced) - بصلة
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- In a bowl, mix yoghurt and flour and leave to rest for a couple of hours outside the fridge (for best results leave it overnight).
- Add milk to the yoghurt-flour mixture to thin it out and whisk.
- Move the mixture to a medium pot and heat gently on medium low heat, while gradually adding warm chicken stock and whisking to the desired consistency (like milk pudding). Note that Keshk thickens more after cooling. You don't have to use the full chicken stock quantity if you are happy with the consistency with less stock than advised here.
- Adjust salt and pepper, add juice of half a lime (optional), then pour keshk into the serving dish/bowl. (You can also add cooked chicken slices to it before pouring into the serving bowl).
- Chop the onion into small thin slices and fry in oil until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle over the keshk. Serve warm with chicken and rice or with baladi bread.
Homemade Bounty Bars
This dessert is based on 3 ingredients only yet delicious and easy to prepare! Your kids will...
Sweet Strawberry Tart with Homemade Custard
The taste and delicacy of this tart will remind you of the famous French Mille-feuille - only...
One famous childhood recipe... This is how my grandma used to serve artichokes. It makes a great...
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Kofta Panee is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely for […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]