By shahdan • October 20, 2016
The egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal.
I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally found the perfect one! Credit goes to a friend’s aunt who shared her very own special tips. This dish is also extra special when using homemade chicken broth (for the easiest and most aromatic chicken stock recipe, click here.)
For best results, leave the yoghurt-flour mixture to rest overnight outside the fridge.
NOTE: Cooking time does not include yoghurt resting time.
- 2 cup yoghurt (110 gram each) - زبادي
- 4 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 1/2 cup milk - لبن
- 2.5 cup chicken broth/stock (about 600 ml) - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 small lime (juiced - OPTIONAL) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 medium onion (sliced) - بصلة
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- In a bowl, mix yoghurt and flour and leave to rest for a couple of hours outside the fridge (for best results leave it overnight).
- Add milk to the yoghurt-flour mixture to thin it out and whisk.
- Move the mixture to a medium pot and heat gently on medium low heat, while gradually adding warm chicken stock and whisking to the desired consistency (like milk pudding). Note that Keshk thickens a bit after cooling.
- Adjust salt and pepper, add juice of half a lime (optional), then pour keshk into the serving dish/bowl. (You can also add cooked chicken slices to it before pouring into the serving bowl).
- Chop the onion into small thin slices and fry in oil until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle over the keshk. Serve warm with chicken and rice or with baladi bread.
Classic Egyptian Bessara
الوصفه بالعربي A hearty authentic Egyptian dish to be proud of! It will take you to...
Easy Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce
الوصفه بالعربي This Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce is a great option...
Quick Wholemeal Scones with Walnuts & Raisins
This is a nutritious wholemeal scones recipe with walnuts & raisins prepared in less than 30...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]