Date & Almond Qatayef
By yasmine • January 29, 2018
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving.
For the sugar syrup recipe click here.
- 1/2 kg Qatayef - قطايف
- 20 dates (use smaller dates like Rotab or Sagei) - بلح
- 100g almonds (whole unpeeled) - لوز
- 2 cup frying oil - زيت للقلي
- 1.5 cup sugar syrup - شربات - قطر
Step by step
- Deseed dates and replace the seeds with a piece of almond inside the date.
- Put one filled date inside each Qatayef and close it tightly.
- In the meantime heat the frying oil. It will need about 5 minutes on medium heat to reach the heat required for frying. If you drop one Qatayef piece and it doesn't sizzle straight away, then you will need to wait a bit longer to achieve crispy yet gooey Qatayef.
- After frying move them onto a prepared tray covered with kitchen paper to soak the excess oil for a minute. Then move the hot Qatayef into a bowl of sugar syrup (at room tempreture).
- Stir the Qatayef in the syrup then move them to the serving dish. You can dust them with some cinnamon if you prefer before serving immediately.
Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
الوصفه بالعربي Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown...
Classic Egyptian Bessara
الوصفه بالعربي A hearty authentic Egyptian dish to be proud of! It will take you to...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]