Date & Almond Qatayef
By yasmine • January 29, 2018
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving.
For the sugar syrup recipe click here.
- 1/2 kg Qatayef - قطايف
- 20 dates (use smaller dates like Rotab or Sagei) - بلح
- 100g almonds (whole unpeeled) - لوز
- 2 cup frying oil - زيت للقلي
- 1.5 cup sugar syrup - شربات - قطر
Step by step
- Deseed dates and replace the seeds with a piece of almond inside the date.
- Put one filled date inside each Qatayef and close it tightly.
- In the meantime heat the frying oil. It will need about 5 minutes on medium heat to reach the heat required for frying. If you drop one Qatayef piece and it doesn't sizzle straight away, then you will need to wait a bit longer to achieve crispy yet gooey Qatayef.
- After frying move them onto a prepared tray covered with kitchen paper to soak the excess oil for a minute. Then move the hot Qatayef into a bowl of sugar syrup (at room tempreture).
- Stir the Qatayef in the syrup then move them to the serving dish. You can dust them with some cinnamon if you prefer before serving immediately.
Traditional Kahk – Egyptian Festive Cookies
Egyptian Eid cookies or what we call "kahk" is a dessert that is usually baked in happy occasions...
Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce
As impressive as it looks, the Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce is quite easy to prepare....
Baked Kofta Rolls
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. It's a very easy...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]