Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
By shahdan • May 18, 2019
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need the frying time and energy of the ‘Khalsa Rice’!
Serve it at dinner parties and at Ramadan Iftars and it will definitely be a show stopper on your table. It is also quick and easy enough to cook for everyday at home. The leftovers can make a great lunch box idea, if you like to take a healthy lunch to work.
This recipe serves 4, you will need to double it if you are cooking for a gathering.
You can serve the freekeh garnished with pomegranate seeds on top (when in season), but it still looks & tastes delicious without. And if you love raisins, this dish tastes absolutely divine with lightly stir-fried raisins on top.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium carrot - جزرة
- 4 small spring onion (or 1 small onion او بصلة صغيرة) - بصلة خضراء
- 1.5 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1 pinch cardamom (ground cardamom) - حبهان
- 2.5 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- For the minced beef
- 1/4 kg minced meat (without fat) - لحم مفروم
- 1 pinch cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1/2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (plus an extra drizzle to garnish) - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- To garnish:
- 1.5 tablespoon pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds (or raisins stir-fried in 1/2 tsp. olive oil او زبيب ) - بذور رمان
Step by step
- Place freekeh in a sieve and rinse with water. Grate the carrot. Chop the green onion and place the white and light green parts in a small bowl to use for cooking. Keep the green ends aside for garnish.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan and add grated carrot and 3/4 of the white chopped green onions. Stir on medium heat until the onions are translucent then add the freekeh.
- Give freekeh another stir with veggies, season with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cardamom, then add chicken stock. You may need to season with salt and pepper if your stock is not seasoned.
- When it all comes to a boil, cover and lower heat to minimum. Leave to cook slowly just like rice.
- In the meantime, heat remaining oil. Add remaining spring onions (white parts), and add beef. Season beef with salt pepper and cinnamon. Cook until beef is nicely browned. Add pomegranate molasses and turn off heat.
- Shake pine nuts in a dry pan until golden. Add some pine nuts to the minced beef and keep the rest for garnish.
- When freekeh is cooked through, use a fork to fluff it (just like rice). Add 2 tablespoon of the minced beef to the freekeh and mix.
- Transfer freekeh to serving dish. Add the remaining beef on top. Then garnish with green onions, parsley, pine nuts and pomegranate seeds or raisins. Add a drizzle of pomegranate molasses and serve immediately.
Easter Greek Brioche
When Sham ElNesseem is coming our way, all I can think of is the smell of my grandmother's Easter...
Classic Egyptian Koshary
Koshary is one of the most famous Egyptian street food. It is basically a plate full of rice,...
Stir-Fried Garlic & Ginger Bok Choy
Bok Choi to me was a scary cabbage that I didn’t know how to use or add to my salads since it has...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]